Hard to afford what I call good help!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mike48114, Jul 18, 2004.

1. mike48114

mike48114 LawnSite Member

I fear that some of our laborers and even our crew leaders could be of a higher quality employee. We pay our laborers $9/hr and our crew leaders $9.50-$10.00 per hour. I know from experiance that paying more dosen't make those employees act any more professional. But does offering more attract better guys? I can't afford with our current budget to pay crew leaders $19.00/hr but I want guys who take pride in thier work and are good for the company not just guys who come to work every day. Just thought I'd throw it out there and see what comes back. Thanks in advance for your help and segestions.:cool:
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

a whopping $1/hr more for being a leader? you've got to be kidding. around here the help gets 12/hr for labor, closer to 20 for foreman/leader. If you can't afford to pay more than $9/hr are you sure you're charging enough for your time for services?
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

My 2 foreman get $20 an hour, laborers get $15.
  4. mike48114

Keep in mind, and I'm sure you know already, the markets vary from region to region. $9.00 per hour for our laborers is very competitive for our area. Its the Crew Leader type positions that the wage is all over the board depending where you look. We also offer health insurance along with AFLAC. Are we saying that if I want Professional Company Oriented Crew Leaders I have to possibly raise our hourly target man hour rate to accommodate the inflated wage?
  5. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Yes in Mich, 9.00 is a good wage, not sure but I think your mininum is alot higher then ours, I believe ours is at 5.15 or 5.75. I was in Mass a couple years ago and I couldnt believe when I was told the starting wage of a person working a walmart. Thats what my crewleader gets is 10.00, stating wage is 6.50
  6. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Here we go again. The East coast guys think the whole country has the same pricing structure as them.
  7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Here is a quote from this article.

"In Wayne County, prevailing-wage rates vary from a modest $15.26 an hour for a landscape laborer"
  8. mike48114

If I found someone who could warant that kind of money I'd make sure it fit in next years budget. I dont know whare to find those guys. I got a feeling if you advertise a job opening for good money you dont guarantee yourself only good guys will apply.
  9. jeffhendrix

jeffhendrix LawnSite Member

I found my best guy off of the internet. I thought if they knew enough about the internet to go to a helpwanted.com site then they had to be kind of smart! He works out GREAT. I pay him $12.00 and I will pay him more next year. I pay my other guys 8-10$ an hour.