1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hard to beat nature's landscape design: redwoods

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by mdvaden, Apr 22, 2007.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

The parks of the west coast are better than any landscape design I've ever done...

Took my mother for her first visit to the redwoods.

The log she is standing near to, is about 14' high along it's length, and bigger near the base. The old vegetation on top, like the deciduous and evergreen huckleberry plants, trees and ferns, makes a raised natural planting over 20' tall.

1000pix copy.jpg

2. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

Those are some cool pics. Someday I want to go out there and see those in person.
  3. mdvaden

It's probably the most serene forest I've ever been in, and so I wrote on a web page for that spot.

My mother said that you can "hear a pin drop".

If perhaps there is wind, it's unique. It makes the tree tops sound almost like the sound of the ocean.

If you even get through there, give yourself at least a full day, to stop at a couple of locations, and find one short hike. You don't have to go too far of the road.

The images above were just a 5 minute walk off Hy. 199 in the Simpson Reed Discovery Trail at Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park - a few miles south of the OR / CA border.

I actually like that trail even better than Stout Grove off Howland Hill Rd. Although, I've talked to visitors from back east or from outside the US, at both spots, and they were dazed with amazement.

Its not just the size of the trees that's remarkable. The forest has a character of its own. A lot of unique forms, growths, etc..
  4. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Definitely on my must see list. When is the best and worst time to go?
  5. mdvaden

I've been hiking in there almost every season, and enjoy all.

If you go in the fall, there are some interesting fungi, like sulfur shelf.

Late spring and early summer, the rhododendrons will be blooming and there is an iris native to the woods too.

If you could pick one season, I'd suggest maybe May - June as optimum. But if you had to go any month - even winter - you would still enjoy it immensely.

There are deciduous trees, but the bulk of the forest is evergreen: the redwoods, ferns, huckleberry, other conifers, moss, salal, etc.. So the foliage is thick all year.

Look how much evergreen is in the image with my mother - just a month into spring. The image below, was taken not far away, Sept. 23rd of last year - mostly evergreen foliage.

If my edit is fast enough, the second image is sulfur shelf I'm checking out last autumn (new Silky saws shirt).

Sept8 023.jpg

Sept8 009.jpg
  6. ericlemson

ericlemson LawnSite Member

Amazing photos. I used to live in Vancouver, WA. I only lived there for 9 months, but that was just enough time to see all of the volcanoes, some of the forests, ocean, etc. Definitely some of the most beautiful parts I have ever seen.
  7. ericlemson

Nice photos on the website too!
  8. mdvaden

Did you ever have a chance to watch the World Windsurfing competition in the Columbia River Gorge?

You picked a good town. Vancouver, WA, is a nice place to live.
  9. ericlemson

Never saw the competition, but went to the CRG several times. Again, that is a beautiful spot. I lived there in 1990. Went to Mt. St Helens several times. Back then, there wasn't any vegetation in the vicinity of the volcano.

I moved from FL to WA. I was pretty young and my parents decided that they were tired of the heat. Then after 9 months of rain and drizzle, we packed up and moved back to FL. Finally ended up in Greer, SC. I am thinking of going back to the Pac. NW on vacation in a year or two.
  10. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

nice photos, right close to where i live. i love the redwoods, as i grew up on the "Avenue of the Giants" in Humboldt County. nice to see someone else enjoying them too. hey mdvaden, next time your going to be in brookings let me know so we can grab a cup of coffee. just shoot me an email. thesargent@gmail.com