Hard to cut weed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Jun 11, 2009.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Just wanted to know the name of this weed. They are thick here now and the stems can be hard to cut.

1-025.jpg

1-026.jpg

2. Blood Bought

Blood Bought LawnSite Member

Buck Horn Plantain. My favorite when I was a kid. Loop the stem over and pull to shoot the head at someone.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Yuppers. What Blood said. Sharpen your blades as close to the middle as you can.

4. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Tacoma,
    Triple on the buckhorn plantain, and the best thing is if it weren't for weeds like this and clover, we couldn't mow as much as we do.....LOL! These dude's are a win-win provider. That picture looks like my pasture, less the bitter sneezeweed and coreopsis.

5. tacoma200

Dang, you guys are good. I need to study my weeds. Yes weeds provide income even in drougts. Any good resources for weed ID?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

What are you running for blades? I did some more sampleing of blades. Stens has a 21" x 5/8" hole that has a 1.0" lift on the sail, # 303-156. Works good on my Hustler. Most 21" blades only have .800" lift. There is some 3" wide blades with a 1.5" lift. They draw some power and sound like an airplane.

7. tacoma200

I'm not having too much trouble with but I'm just noticing stalks still standing when I look at lawns in this area.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. bighaydenslawn

bighaydenslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Buckhorn no doubt.

Cuts a lot better than dandelions do though.

9. Blood Bought

Blood Bought LawnSite Member

Tacoma200: I use 2 books for weed ID. I'll give you the details when I get back to the office Mon. The one is a handy paper back published by the University of Georgia, "Southern Weeds".

10. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA