hard to cut weeds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jbell113, Sep 28, 2004.

1. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I was curious to know in a weed infested yard of crab grass and dallis grass are you able to cut it without having to double cut? I have a few props that crab and dallis grass get really tall and I always have to run back over it 2 or 3 times. I have 3 blades on my W/B turf tracer and it seems that in between the blades it leaves a row of uncut weeds. It does not do it in a yard with all bermuda. What is your experience with this ? thanks in advance
  2. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Here's what I do. Normally, If the lawn isn't that long I go up the row, stop, and then go inreverse over the same row. This seems to get the stuff that layed over. If you have a walk behind, I don't think it would be as easy.

Iv'e come to the conclusion that double mowing is more of a reality than alot of us would like to admit, even on just grass.

I did a lawn this spring and it must have taken me 4 passes in some spots because of the year old Golden rod...I hate that stuff!
  3. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the reply and I think your right as far as others having to make more than one pass.