1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hard to find trustworthy help...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chimmygew, May 14, 2004.

1. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

Had a FORMER friend of about 14 years come to me this winter and ask for a job. I let him plow snow and work on my truck. Come this spring, I let him run my crew for mowing. Three weeks ago I had a couple of checks come back to insufficient funds and couldn't figure out why. Well, went to my bank got a copy of some of my checks and low and behold this dumb SOB had been writing himself some extra paychecks. He made away with several hundred dollars. The bank gave me my money back and did not press charges since he payed them back. Got a copy of the checks myself and the scumbag is going to jail. Lesson learned a little late for me.
  2. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That is awful to hear. Did he give you a reason what he was taking the money? I hate to hear when you give someone a job and they take advantage of you.

3. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

Man Im sure glad you got your money back, and caught him before it got worse.
  4. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

No kiddin, you knew this guy for 14 years? Wow, I guess money makes some people go nuts. Sorry to hear of your disfortune chimmeygew
  5. chimmygew

Thanks. The only reason he gave was "I needed the money". I know what it was for. He had just bought a motorcycle and need insurance money. All he had to do was ask for an advance on his pay and if I had it, I would have gave it to him.
  6. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

One of my employees is a friend of mine for about 12-13 years.
    He's leading a mowing team for me when i'm not landscaping. When he needs an advance for money, i don't mind giving it to him, but if he ever decides to take the money w/o me knowing it.... "YER OUTTA HERE!!!!"
  7. chimmygew

I believe the warrant has now been issued for his arrest. As far as I am concerned, he is getting what he deserves. I always thought, hey, it won't happen to me. Never say never.