1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hard to start Hustler WB in 50 degree weather.

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by DLS1, Oct 11, 2005.

1. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought the Hustler 37" WB at the beginning of this mowing season. It has always started first to third pull but it should since it was brand new.

Now that the weather has gotten cooler (below 60 degrees) it takes 10 minutes or LONGER of pulling the rope to get it started. I do have the chain pulled on the side of the mower for cold starts for chocking. Any suggestions to get this thing started quicker so I don't wear out my arm. Sometimes I take breaks before I start pulling the cord again to get it started. I am about ready to get a machine that has an electric start.

How about spraying starter fluid in the air filter area or something else? Got any other tricks for starting? For a high priced commercial machine this is unacceptable.
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Sounds like a choke adjustment or carburetor issue.
    The engine on your unit is a Kawasaki, have your dealer take a look at the unit ASAP.
    I am sure it can be taken care of easily.