1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hard to start Shin T2500

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tomt, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Tomt

Tomt LawnSite Member

Owners of the T2500 that have one that starts easily when hot, please let me know.

I have one that is a PITA.
    Easier to start when cold, but after it is hot and then sits 10-20 minutes it takes 15 plus pulls to start, if your lucky, that is after fooling around with the choke, throttle, primer bulb, etc.

The real aggravation is that it is only a month old, and been to the shop twice and starts worse now than ever.

Shindiawa does not have the answer either.

I hope I am the only sucker with this problem, but I don't think so.:angry: :blob2:
  2. liltex

liltex LawnSite Member

might try looking at the spark plug. we had a blower the same way. the gap gets to big when hot but after cooling it shrinks back down enabling it to fire. hope this helps
  3. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Perhaps the coil is going bad on it already, or was dropped at the factory. Does it still start easy enough when it is cold?
  4. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I have an M2500 that does not have that problem. Can you get it replaced?
  5. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

we had the same problem with s t220? last year. It would be good if you started it 5 mins after it was shut off but otherwise forget it. You would be lucky to even get it to turn on!

Granted it was older, but we had no idea. Try replacing your spark plug.
  6. birkshnart

birkshnart LawnSite Member

Go back to your dealer and have them contact the service department at their distributor. There is a new Shindaiwa update kit to address those issues.
  7. jimmie51

jimmie51 LawnSite Member

Yea I had mine done. They said something about it updates it to be like the new T2510 models. They put a bunch of new parts on her that's for sure. It doesn't vibrate any more either.
  8. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

Just talked to Shindaiwa Tech support and they have had some problems with starting difficulty and he mentioned two solutions

1) there is an upgrade kit for the 2500 called the 2510 upgrade kit which the dealer can order from Shindaiwa. It costs you nothing. It contains a new coil, flywheel and decompression valve. Shindaiwa pays the dealer to install it. I think this probably just makes the rope easier to pull. It is pretty stout. The reply above mentioned he had it done and the vibration went away, so that may also be a benefit.

2) If the unit is used a lot at less than full throttle, oil tends to pool in the crankcase and increases compression considerably and makes it hard to start. He said to start it and run at full throttle and shake and turn the unit upside down like you are edging. This is an attempt to get the gas and the oil mixed back up. He said that if a puff of smoke comes out of the muffler then it may solve your problem. I'm going to try it when I get home. I already called the dealer and asked him to order the 2510 upgrade kit.