Hard up in the rain!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kc2006, May 19, 2006.

1. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I was out mowing today and luckily most of my accounts are high up or commercial so I was able to mow. Right now I'm 2 days behind, hopefully the next two days are nice and I'll be caught up by monday.

But I saw 3 different companies out that had only 21"ers on their trailers, and these are guys that normally have ztr's or larger walkbehinds. After about 8 or 9 days now of rain, I guess they finally had enough and decided lose alittle productivity using the 21's instead of no productivity!

That's a good way to keep your guys busy if we get hit with another week long rain!

2. lowballer17

lowballer17 LawnSite Member

Stopped using the rider today. Only used the w/b and 21" push mower. Rain for 8 solid days.

3. Mike's Lawn & Snow

Mike's Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

yea were 2 days behind hppefully tommorow we can finish up thursday jobs havent seen many landscapers on the road at all this week...not like normal

4. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I was close to cracking out the w/b but luckily I didn't need it. The z didn't make any marks hardly in all the accounts so I was happy. A few neighbors down the road from me have another company cut, boy they needed to use w/b's, those yards are whooped bad. Clumps, ruts, clippings all over the road because they couldnt get them up in the rain. Sad thing is they're pretty reputable companies that did it. The only way I was able to stay this much up with the schedule was going out at 3pm each day after it would stop raining and dry out alittle. I would be about a day behind only but the new mower had issues with the blades so I had to quit early the one evening.

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Does anybody have an tips, experience, or know-how about blade choice in wet cutting?

I have a 36" Exmark Viking, and put on a pair of extra hi-lift, heavy duty, blades that helped. The OEM blades (standard hi-lift) leave the underside of the deck packed up pretty well, and some clumps. But, the heavy duty blades (bought at Lesco a few years ago), worked much better. The underside of the deck, at least the primay path through the chambers, was kept clean -- no build up. Oh yes, there was some "mushing" of clippings, but not nearly as much as expected. I have cut the last two days in some pretty terrible conditions, including drizzle, sprinkles, and just plain heavy, wet growth. To be sure, driving the heavier blades (3" X 0.25" thick (?), with high trailing edge), takes more horsepower. But, the result looks pretty good considering the conditions.

Anybody have any other experiences regarding blade choice?

Mulching blade, such as Gators, are the worst possible choice, in my opinion.

6. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Thankfully I am only a half day behind on mowing. Looks like Saturday is going to be nice. Sunday I hear they are calling for rain, but I don't plan on working on Sunday anyways. Next here In Columbus it is to be pretty nice. Keep the fingers crossed, because I am sick of wearing boots all day long. Makes for a long day and really make the legs tired.

Good luck on getting caught up, it could be worse we could be up in the NE part of the country.

JP

7. YotaNate

YotaNate LawnSite Member

Its been so dry down here, that some of my every week yards are only needing mowed every other week. And some of my every 10 day yards are only needing it every 18 days or so. Its crazy. We are well over a foot under normal precipition for the year.