1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hard worker here

Discussion in 'Employment' started by Azraell, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Azraell

Azraell LawnSite Member

Hello, Thought id post here seeking employment. Im currently employed at EMI in central ohio. I have 12 years in the lawn care field...commercial and residental.

I contracted a stomach virus last friday, came into work the 6th(mon), had to leave early cause i had monster fever and couldnt keep anything in my stomach (a manager picked me up at about 1pm and took me home) and was out of commision for tues, wends, and thursday....going back in this morning(friday).

I called in to managers and one of the owners each day i was off. Problem is, they started some attendence thing where the computer checks days your not here and punishes you if your not excused. I figured calling managers and owner every morning i was bed ridden and having them tell me ok and to get well bud would be appropriate excuse....But i hear now i may be suspended or fired.....for have gastro-flu...:dizzy: :confused: Their insurance is expensive so i dont get it, and they say i need docors excuse.

When im hunched over the toilet for many days yaking my guts out, and no food or water for almost a week, i dont need a doctor to tell me im sick.

Been with them for 5 years, never had any attendence probs at anytime, work hard, owners and managers like me. But in the end, the attendance software decides who gets fired and who stays, even if the owner says otherwise.

If they are going to punish me for being very ill, then i no longer wish to be with said company.

They are quite large anyway, but dont pay very well...i could get a job at mcdonalds and still make the same while doing less work with less stress. My older brother works there as well(11 years with them) and is a top manager, but there is nothing he can do it either.

Im 33 years of age... said before 12 years in the bussiness at a couple of places(including present employer).
    Had a partner-ship lawncare (small commecial/residental) with a friend for about a year but that fell through...dont worry, we are still friends.:)

I have no license,(lost it when i was 19, wreck, no insurance) But it doesnt stop me from getting to work and busting a**. An employer based near where i live would be ideal, My area code is 43224.
    No training will be required for me obviously.... unless you have a certain way you like things done...then ill adapt to your way. Maybe i can offer ideas to increase productivity if you find me suitable for an employee.

Any questions? You can contact me in this thread.

Thanks for you time,

2. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. From the sounds of it you're doing the right thing by looking for work elsewhere. I'm sure your brother was able to look in on you; thus verifying your missing so much work. That's gotta be one of the lamest excuses I've ever heard for a employer to let somebody go. He does what a computer program tells him to do and has no say in it? I'm sure with your experience and willingness to work you won't have a hard time finding another company to work for. Best of luck in your search.
  3. Azraell

Azraell LawnSite Member

Thanks....I live with my brother and his family, hes knows i was dying, but since hes not a doctor it doesnt matter. Only a doctor can tell me if im sick or not in their eyes. And the main owner(There are 3 owners in this company) announced last year that he wouldnt interfere with the human resources guys decisions. And the HR guy is a jerk. I have more time in there than him. Our old HR guy when i started was killer, he was there for the employees. Bonuses, raises, all that good stuff. Nicest guy in the world.

Then the good HR guy was retiring about 4 years ago, this bad HR guy started there...and the minute his training was done and the good HR guy left...the bad HR guy got rid of all bonuses, froze all raises, treats people like trash, talks down to employees. He doesnt care about the workers, only the company. Then he came across this software last year and convinced the owners to let him have his way. :( Said the company will benifit from it.:confused:

How is the company going to benifit by firing experience people for contracting an illness? I dont know. They are even whining about having a lack of experience people there.

Its currentlly 80% spanish workers right now...lots and lots of new people this year...without the faintest idea how do make high production happen.

Like i said...itll be either suspenson (like 3-5 days) or firing. :(

Ill find out in a couple of hours....
    But if they want to treat me like that, screw em i say.

Ill :walking:
  4. Livingreen

Livingreen LawnSite Member

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you get paid now? Have you ever thought about coming to the last frontier? Alaska! :usflag: I am almost ready to hire you right now! The labor force up here is terrible and I would welcome anyone with a loyal, hard working attitude. Then again, who wouldn't.:waving:
  5. Azraell

Azraell LawnSite Member

10.25 :( ....no raise for many years. :(

No one in my area???? I promise to work harder than hard for you. :(
  6. Livingreen

I'm lost. What do you mean?
    Anyways, if you are what you say you are, you could make more up here. W/o a license....capped at 11.50 at my company.

BILLY DAWG LawnSite Member

Mike looking for a good lawncare tech with a willingness to do whatever it takes to get the job done.

Email me at billydawgmac@sbcglobal.net
  8. Livingreen

Azraell- I can definitely beat that rate. Feel free to send me a shout at livingreen@gci.net