hard

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by randy2625 1, Apr 25, 2003.

1. randy2625 1

randy2625 1 LawnSite Member

is it hard to get used to dring and turning and **** with the trailer??

2. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

Was it hard learning to drive when you 1st got your license??? It's like anything else, the more you practice, the better you get...just don't hit any parked cars while learning:D

3. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

hes 16 ... i think he JUST did get his license, and is trying to learn it all at once.

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

It will somewhat depend on the size of the trailer. Mine is small and trails directly behind the truck. So I don't have to take turns extra wide or anything like that.

A larger/wider trailer will take a little more time to get use to when turning.

Practice in a large, empty parking lot. I used a school lot on a weekend when I first got my trailer.

Backing up is the hardest thing. Especially with a smaller trailer. But you get used to it pretty quick really.

Just practice backing up, parallel parking, backing into a parking spot, etc.

5. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

I remember those days. My Father put the canopy on the truck so I would learn using the mirrors instead of looking out the back window. Also spent alot of times at boat launches backing up while my Father is yelling at me NO THE OTHER WAY!!!!! Sometimes the launch would get backed up because of me.

A tip I learned some years ago was put your hand at the bottom of the wheel. When you turn the bottom of the steering wheel left the trailer turns left in your mirror. Same goes for right. For this to be 100% effective you must try to keep your hand at the bottom of the wheel and use only your mirros. I don't use this method but can be effective for someone who is learning.

6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Ha! I'm 15 with a permit (3 weeks till my b-day then just another month till my license :D ) and could out-maneuver my dad with any of our trailers (pop up camper, boat, 6x12 open) with a 12 passenger van (mirrors only) anytime the trailers are concerned it's me driving because he can't back them up and can't use the side mirrors :D I think I do pretty fair with it. I guess I got an early start pulling carts around behind garden tractors. That is kind of like preschool for the big rigs. Just don't jacknife it backing up or you will screw up your bumper and maybe some body work. Can wopperjaw your trailer tongue too, when we got our 6x12 it had a small bend in the tongue from the previous owner's son jacknifing it. Just get out in a big parking lot when there aren't many people around. Learn to use those side mirrors thats why they're there! No rubber necking! Remember turn the steering wheel opposite of if you were driving just the vehicle. Hopefully you already knew that LOL. Pretty soon it will come naturally.

7. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

With a regular p/u and a regular single axle open trailer 5x12,I could back any where,pull through drive throughs-no problem..Now a 4dr dually and 16ft 2axle-thats about 43ft total,seems like the most simple manouvering has became a chore!!:(