harder to get customers, or a good employee?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 5, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what came first, the chicken or the egg? if you were looking to grow your client base by 30-40%, would you need to first secure the clientelle, or would you need to first have an employee well trained and ready to go so that you could handle the 30-40% more work? what is harder to do, pick up 30 more lawns, or find, hire, and train a good employee to be able to handle these 30 more lawns?

2. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

ummmm clientelle! why would you need employees to do jobs you dont have?

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Bingo!!! We have a winner.
    You Florida boys are smarter than I gave you credit for. :)

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

clients always, the chance of expanding 30+ in one, two or three weeks is very slim unless you take on an entire street or subdivision. in those 1-3 weeks you could easily train a monkey to run some equipment.

5. bobbygedd

from NJ

yea jodi when you live on the border of pittsburgh and west virginia, any man with more than 4 teeth and nostral hairs that don't pertrude down to thier upper lip seems smart.

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Mr. Gedd,
    How do you know where I live?, my profile says "Pennsylvania"

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

ok, ok, i forgot. she's right, i don't know where she lives. btw, those tomatoes on the right hand side of your house, under the 3rd window ever turn red yet?

8. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

I would find a part time employee first, that is interested in full time and start training. It will give you more time to go after the new clients. That plus what good are new clients if you send out an untrained employee to rapidly chase them off, or you don't have the time to get them done yourself. JMO

9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

But it didn't always use to say that......................................

10. bobbygedd

from NJ

turf medic, i like your logic, cus that is exactly my plan. i am very confident that i can add 12-15 new customers real quick, that will cover his expense, then i'm quite sure i can add another 15 easy enough, to line my pockets. i think the customers would be easy to get, but like you say, having a good employee that won't scare them off may not be so easy.