1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lynden-Jeff, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Who hear wears hardhats? A couple specific companys around here make their employees wear hardhats. I could see this maybe in an industrial complex or refinery but doing condos and town houses? Seems overboard! I always find it so funny when I see it, I could never do that.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

its a firring offense with some company's
  3. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

I worked in a steel shop for almost 15 yrs. They finally done their home work, and found out that in most cases, the shops that wear them have more head injuries than those that don't. This was even supported by osha. The reason behind this is, most people get careless when they have a hardhat on. Later, Tony
  4. Midwest Lawn Services

Midwest Lawn Services LawnSite Member

I would personally start laughing my a$$ off if I saw someone around here on a mower wearing a hard hat!:laugh: But hey, that's just my 2 cents!
  5. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

ryan homes requires all contractors to wear them on a jobsite...most dont though...its all insurance

i should of had one on the other day with a face shield inside the backhoe...i was ripping on some roots when one flung a 2 inch stone up into my face right below my left eye...left a nice welt and i could imagine if i had the glass up it probably would have broken that.
  6. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

I have hardhats but not for mowing. We use them when putting in yards and using the bucket.

The reason; one day I was on a slope, the front tire hit a rock and so I picked it up and dropped it at the creast of the slope and so I thought.

Then I went to move some cut and downed trees on the top and raised my bucket to do so. Out come this rock and missed me by a foot or two, and rolled on down the slope to the bottom. I smaller rock landed in my lap.

So hard hat it is.

7. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

this is a stupid question and a bigtime NON-ISSUE.

unless you are in the flip'n trees.
  8. johndeereguy

johndeereguy LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

A large corperation I mow for requires me to ware one while on there property. As well as regular shirts, long pants, steel toes boots safety glasses drug testing and a safety coarses, they are charged for it and gladly pay for it.
  9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people. Really though, I think the poster is just making conversation.

I have seen the mowing contractors on the Naval base wearing hard hats. It's funny, sure, but no big deal if that is what the contract calls for. Shoot, if the price is right, I would wear a Speed-O to mow in.

It is just an insurance thang. We all can recognize how insurance companies can come up with some silly things. But, you gotta do what you gotta do.
  10. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

you never know when a couple might start fighting and something might start flying out the window like a TV or something.