1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hardly used new commercial mowers for sale in newspaper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DLS1, Aug 24, 2002.

1. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm new to mowing this year as part-timer and will stay that way. I am starting to notice commercial mowers for sale in paper where they say it is new mower bought this year. I called on one who had a Exmark 36" Turf Tracer with full floating deck for $4000 but would go less. Says it only has a few hours only. Does this happen every year starting about now for people buying new equipment then getting out same year? Or maybe it is because of lack of rain?

Seems like a good time to buy equipment then in the fall.
  2. dforbes

dforbes LawnSite Member

could be because of drought. did you ask him why he wanted to get rid of it. does it have an hour meter on it? Have you priced a new one? Would you be better to buy new and have the full warenty? Lots to think about, I would call the dealer and see what he would give for it.
  3. DLS1

The Turf Tracer is $4500 new. I though warranty would transfer to new owner. I wasn't interested in buying it. I really waiting for good deal on an Exmark 52" HP lazer. Someone else had a Encore 32" belt drive bought May 2002,12 hp Briggs and Stratton for $1500 or best offer.
  4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Here, a TTHP 36" is $4800 before tax. I'm close to buying one with about 10 hours on it for $4500 with tax. I've only driven them around the parking lot, haven't mowed with it yet, will do that next time I'm over there before I buy it. This isn't really the time of year to buy/sell, but it can be done. Demos come into the dealers in Sept. around here. I'd rather buy/sell in the spring, not necessarily because of better prices, but if you want to finance you're making money with the machine. $4,000 is a pretty good deal though.
  5. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

LSDLS, I saw A new 2002 Lazer 52" 23hp Kohler at a dealer here on the Illinois side of the Mississippi River (near St. Louis). A little far for you to drive unless that was what you really wanted. they were asking $6800, but that was over a month ago, they would probably come down more now. Also Scag 48 was right waiting till spring if your going to finance, unless you have decent cash flow thruout the winter. Marc

Are We Having Fun Yet???:D
  6. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

To answer your question: Yes this happens every summer when the newbies cant handle the heat. Its worse (or better depending on whos side you are looking at) this year because of the drought.
  7. DLS1

Scag48, is that your Toro Proline 118 on ebay?
  8. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think the warranty can be transfered so you better check with the mower manufacturer before you buy any slightly used equipment.