hardscape........

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by AndrewLawn, Jul 5, 2001.

1. AndrewLawn

AndrewLawn LawnSite Member

whats the difference between landscaping and hardscaping?what's easier,I've really been wanting to get into landscaping,because I know there is more potential in it than lawnmowing,but is it harder?do you need natural talent,or does it come with experience,or both?Also,are they as easy to land as lawnmowing jobs?just pass out flyers and there ya go?any input is appreciated.......

2. AndrewLawn

AndrewLawn LawnSite Member

come on,respond!thanks again.

3. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Thought this might get better responses here.

4. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Landscaping is trimming bushes,mulch, planting bushes and trees stuff like that.

Hardscaping is more construction, walks, retaining walls, fences,patios, and somtimes low voltage landscaping lights.

I stick with landscaping. I usualy just ask my customers if they need anything else done. Ussaly theres a few things. I ussaly put other things I want to do for people other then cutting on my fliers. I would like to get more of these jobs.

5. Hardscaping? :confused: Walks and walls? Patios and driveways? Is that what you mean?

I know a guy who quit a good job with a big corporation to do stone work. He ran a small display ad like a business card in the local paper when things were slow but mostly it was word of mouth. Now he only does premium jobs and he is booked months ahead. Stone walls. Dry. Never any mortar. The guy is a perfectionist. I've known him to take a wall apart three times and rebuild it until he is satisfied.

I think the easiest job is the one you :heart: love :heart: to do.

6. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

There is hard and soft landscasping ...niether one has anything to do with maintenance.... hard is all your brickwork,walls etc..soft is planting shrubs etc.. of course it is harder than maintenance...much more materials and equipment are involved. I would go work for a good landscape company, for experience before taking on any hardscapes.

7. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Because of the size of the projects, you may need to have a contractor's license. There is more thought and preparation to accomplishing either hardscapes or landscapes than mowing. Also, more up-front money outlay on each project.

8. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Both take a lot of skill and knowledge, picking the right plants handling them and care. Hardscaping requires attention to minor details and perfection in base prep, knowledge of soil types and construction skills.

9. Pond guy

Pond guy LawnSite Member

Dude, you gotta do some research! Do you have any construction and building skills? You don't want to do shotty work and give yourself a bad rep! Do you have any landscape design skills? You can't just go plunking this shrub with that shrub or perennials and hope it works. Take a design course at your local college to help give you an idea of what it takes, unless you know a designer who will create for you. I started in lawn maintenance 6 yrs ago and gradually grew into my landscaping business, learning and observing as I went. I also befriended my nursery supplier (who also runs a landscape co.)He has given me many tips on what to charge and how to do things. Good luck and hang in there!:angel: