Hardscaping Hacks - Pics

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Gilmore.Landscaping, Apr 28, 2012.

1. SRT8

SRT8 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CA

I know the guy who built that wall!!! he must travel al over the country because I ran into some of his work yesterday! sorry for the sideways picture. I stopped in the middle of the road just to take this picture lol.

photo (2).JPG

2. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I found some similar work lol
    [​IMG]

he must have been responsible for that concrete work too..

3. MDLawn

MDLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Man, I know I struggled with my first paver patio, walkway, and stairs that I completed at my brothers house but this stuff is just plain awful. It's not like a few bond lines are off, or some slight miscalculations on height, or something aesthetically unappealing. Half these things could have really bad consequences.

I will say this. One of the educational seminars I went to regarding building walls provides information and I wonder if people leave there thinking they are fine (certified) for building retaining walls greater than 6 feet, with major surcharges, or any other concern. I left that seminar confused/concerned more than ever that if I screw something up there are very bad consequences. The highest "wall" I've built is on a current landscape install and it's only one of those side of the house circles for a planting bed 3 blocks tall. It still takes time to level things and make sure it's correct.

4. lego

lego LawnSite Senior Member

"Those will level themselves out once everything settles"
    HEH

constructionhat.jpg

5. Gilmore.Landscaping

Gilmore.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Got a call to fix this one..... owner admits to having a cheap company do this 2 years ago and had regretted it since. Always more expensive to do things twice. Its tough to tell in the pics but its way low in the middle around the back of the van.

IMG_00001341.jpg

IMG_00001342.jpg

6. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer LawnSite Member

I love the pattern! Also a very subtle curve in the soldier course which makes it flow nicely.

7. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

wow, tell me how you're going to make this pattern work. I thnk you should just do a herringbone pattern. Thats brussels
    1/2 stone with the xl border.

8. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

I would never use that pattern. Especially on a driveway.

String line? What's that for??..

9. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Hack? Genius? All I know is I was called in to finish some work here and he has been subbing me work
    [​IMG]

10. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Holy crap, I've never seen a down spout ran like that......