1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hardscaping Hacks - Pics

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Gilmore.Landscaping, Apr 28, 2012.

1. SRT8

SRT8 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CA

Those blocks are heavy........duhh!!! Haha
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

they removed some rotten ties that were there and spread some gravel. i will have to snap an after where they put a foot of dirt behind the wall to hide the blocks

3. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

It's just like other stuff, if you don't "use it" you "lose it". Not sure why they needed 3 buckets though

4. stebs

stebs LawnSite Senior Member

they probably figured that if they had more equipment layin around, they'd look more "professional"

5. Gilmore.Landscaping

Gilmore.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Found these two neighbours on google street view while looking up a driveway quote for someone who called in. They must have had the same contractor.

Hack 1.jpg

Hack 2.jpg

6. PenningsLandscaping

PenningsLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Was someone planning to go surfing on those waves? Christ
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

↑ those are painful to look at!
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Atown

Atown LawnSite Member
    from Wa

SOOOOOOOOOOO........ This is the funniest thread i've found on this website, but as a newer landscaper having never done a hardscape, I am now terrified of trying lol.

Do most people work for other landscapers and learn from mistake on other people's dimes or wait till they get their own house to make their own mistakes and learn ??? I have minor thoughts on like 18" high little garden bed ideas that I thought might help me learn more but i cant believe just how bad some of these projects are.

9. PenningsLandscaping

PenningsLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't learn on a customers dime, if you can't learn from working for another business, read books, blogs, ect. Also, you can take continueing education courses on masonry. It's not rocket science, but you need to be meticulous, detail oriented, and refuse short cuts. These guys are all lazy, sloppy, or mentally ******ed.

I strongly recommend an adult education course if you have zero experience. I had minor experience, and supplemented my existing knowledge with research and asking my cousin, an expert, for advice. This website is a wealth of knowledge.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Tri-City Outdoors

Tri-City Outdoors LawnSite Member