Hardscaping SkidSteer

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by EagleLandscape, Dec 28, 2007.

1. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Ok, so I named the topic the way that I did hoping that this thread won't get moved. But there are alot more guys in this section, than the machinery section so I decided to come here.

I'm building a new house for myself here starting in a few months or so and will need to use of a skidsteer off and on probably for the rest of the year. I figured now would be a good of time as any to go ahead and buy one.

I figured I would spend a few thousand on rental fees anyways.

I know, I know, a skidsteer is 10's of thousands...

But wanted to run the idea by you all about buying used. If so, what are some good models that you all have dealt with, size, lifting capacities. It will not be tracked, just fyi.

Wanting to spend less than 10k maybe? tell me if that is a deal killer. Thanks guys!
  2. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

I think 10 k is just gonna get you junk. if you are looking to spend about 20k, you could get a very nice used machine. sadly, the real estate market is screwing up building and construction trades. this is a good thing for people who are looking for good used equipment. My buddy just bought a Takeuchi tl140 for 26k with under 500 hours on it. I believe you coul probably find a real nice Bobcat s185 which is a perfect medium duty wheeled machine, for 20k or less. take your time and look around. good luck.
  3. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

Less than 10 grand? You wont get much. I would try catused.com they have alot of differnt makes and models.

I will keep my eye out for ya!
  4. Diesel-1984

Diesel-1984 LawnSite Member

hit up ebay, look for auctions in your area for heavy machinery, newspaper, and check out rental stores (get great deals if they're going out of business)
  5. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

ok thanks guys. Ya, I'm loving that home prices are going down. I just bought a 90k lot for 47k before the guy got foreclosed on and a few other good properties for some amazing prices.
    but if you guys see anything around the texas area, let me know, thanks!
  6. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I think you can get a great cat on ironplanet for 15k w/ low hours and in good condition. I would want a 246... just enough to lift a pallet of sod.

I bought a 2000 cat 248 for $4500 last summer. I put about $1500 into fixing a small hydro leak, the back door, and a couple of other little things... and it runs like a raped ape. There are deals out there... you just have to put your feelers out and wait a couple of months and have the cash ready.
  7. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

How is your economy? Ask other companies and suppliers......they may be selling or tell you someone who is. I bought my T190 that way, saved a bundle and got a heck of a deal. The best part is it is through a referral, you know what you are getting.
  8. KTM

KTM LawnSite Senior Member

Try to find somebody thats trading in there loader for a new one and give them alittle more, also ask around there are alot of people hurting for money right now. Even new equipment is getting to be a better deal than it used to be, we just bought a new track loader for thousands less than another contractor paid for his a year and a half ago, same exact model/options. As far as what to buy used most tire loaders are pretty good try to stick to the models that are popular in your area then if you have problems you can get answers on getting it fixed. I dont know about were your from but here it seemed like everyone use to have Case 1845 and 1840's there light duty compared to todays standard but it always seams like people that ran them alot know them inside and out
  9. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

10. Plant Buyer 83

Plant Buyer 83 LawnSite Member

I agree w/ Todd, with the economy and the housing market being the way it is, try some local companies. I'm sure you could find some good deals.

As stated earlier Ironplanet is a great website. Good deals, reliable site, LOTS of equipment.