1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hardscaping vehicle advice

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Gnomeo, Mar 28, 2014.

1. JDGlandscape

JDGlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

for the price difference a 3/4 instead of a 1 ton is almost pointless. unless you have different dot regulations or registration purposes
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

I hate npr cabs. Yes they are incredibly maneuverable and lightweight. But they scare me in crashes
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. Gnomeo

Gnomeo LawnSite Member

Again, thanks for the comments.

I don't pick up dedicated amounts for an entire job, but I'll be running to the yard roughly once a week to either get client extras, or that last dam yard of aggregate. Its just easier/faster than waiting for delivery, not cheaper.
    Not to mention, for some of my previous jobs, all the material was brought in by my truck simply for access reasons. i beefed up my front coils and rear spring to make it more of an f350.

The 10 bed NPR would be my choice, but man the American prices are waaaaay better. Basic cab and chassis here is $46k, plus another 10-13 for an aluminum dump. If only our dollar wasnt crap.

JDJ, thats for the info about the non dump.

Looks like I'm back to scouring auto trader on these cabovers.
    Anything engine wise to be wary of? Like the Ford 6.0 engines and such?
  4. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

Don't crash then. :rolleyes:
  5. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Obviously that's a good solution lol

Seriously though. I'm still considering one as well.

My uncle has a hino nice truck
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

A one ton is nothing more than a little truck with a big box on the back. Period.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Cab overs are popular in all countries but the US.

The guys in the us that go with cab overs never go back to anything else.

Even the US military has cab overs. Mitsubishi.

If I ever were to get a new medium duty - it would be a Cab over. I think they're beefier than international and freightliner.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

Cab overs are very popular around here. All of the large companies around here run Isuzu or Mits Fuso trucks for their maintenance work. Lowe's is replacing their 6500 GM delivery trucks with Fuso's. The only application the cab overs aren't very popular with is dump trucks and wreckers.
  9. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

We just added a full crew npr Isuzu with toolbox and 14'

dump... The truck is enormously long.... Feels really top heavy when loaded with mulch or whatnot... Also we made a big mistake the first day we had it.

So the bottom of the dump bed is some type of opaque white material (maybe a heavy duty plastic?) we put 2 pallets of rock salt in the dump and my guy left.... First curve the pallets slid on that bottom to one side of the truck and hit the side.. We are talking about 5,000 pounds here and the truck popped to the side wheels and almost rolled over. Totally our fault for not strapping them, but a pallet on any of our other dumps would not have slid. Just letting you know so it doesn't happen to anyone else!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. neighborguy

neighborguy LawnSite Member

I do hear that the towing capabilities of the cab overs is very limited. Anyone have any experience with this?