Hardsurfacing on blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CSRA Landscaping, Jul 14, 2001.

1. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I didn't want to put this in the welding forum because it's more related to getting more use out of blades. I was talking recently with a friend of mine tha told me when he wasn in Louisiana that he would take and weld hardsurfacing along the bottom (flat part) of his mower blades and that would do two things:

1) Make them last longer.
    2) Keep a razor edge on them.

He told me that the trick is to do it along the bottom, right along the cutting edge, then grind it down so it's very thin, and go with it.

Said that the hardsurfacing is the same thing they use on dozer blades. Eric, Bill, all, what do you guys think?
    :cool:

2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Good idea, but will probably cost you more than new blades. Hardening rods are very expensive.

3. CSRA Landscaping

Yeah, Tom said they were about $2-3 a pop but that one blade would do 2 blades or so. I figure the time saved in labor for sharpening them would merit the cost.

4. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Go for it. Let me know how it works. I use them now on my loader buckets. Thought about trying them on blades several years agos but the welding shop talked me out of it. Let me know how it works. Got a certified welder working for me now so I can do it cheaper. BTW the welding shop said if I did it to do it on new blades. Better than trying to build up a worn one.

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I think that if you do the first 2" of the end, this might be plenty. The only thing I would worry about is if you hit something hard, will this make the area where you built up the blade easier to break off. I think we need to think about this for a bit. We don't want a piece of the blade taking off at over 200 mph. :(

Any thoughts on this?

6. CSRA Landscaping

No doubt about it! I wouldn't even think of using that on a used blade. If it gets a set of blades to last 2 months around here, I'll be pleased! Shoot, a month and a half would be good!

Eric, I hadn't considered that. The way Tom talked, this nearly made the blades impervious. He said that he wore the blades out before they lost their edge. He told me too, that if you lay it on real thick, going back on the bottom, as well as along the edge, that makes it stronger. As I'm not a welder, I rely on your input. ;)

7. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

CRSA..........interesting concept that im gonna look into. I do welding on the side have been for sometime now here and there, i wouldnt think that this welding the blade bottom would affect the integrity of the surrounding blade steel, but could be wrong. I do know as with most any weld when you do weld if its gonna break its not gonna be the weld its gonna be somewhere else, the weld is the strongest part at that point. A good friend of mine has been in welding for 10 years now im gonna ask his opinion on this matter and get back with you.

:p

8. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

If you add the costs of new blades, welding materials and labor, and sharpening it would not be as economical as using up the standard blades.

What about the liability? Are you willing to take that chance. GOD forbid anything bad happening but what if that something went wrong and you were faced with a lawsuit situation and it was determined that you had altered the equipment....

Just a thought...Be careful and good luck..

9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

ive wondered why they didnt sell the blades already fixed that way. seems like a natural to me ,and if i could get double the time out of a sharpening ,id be interested. course then you got to be able to sharpen that hard metal. might take a special wheel.

10. CSRA Landscaping

Rich, let us know what type of blades you use it on and the results! That would be awesome.

CP, if we were all so concerned about what-ifs we'd never get out of bed! :laugh:

Tony, that's part of the point - they're supposed to keep their edge, so you don't have to sharpen them. Now, I do approach that with some skepticism because Tom is coming from the homeowner perspective so he didn't use them as much, yet it's worth a shot, I'd say.