hardware store offering grass cutting

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Mar 1, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

there is a hardware store in my area, the sign on the door says, "grasscutting and lawn services available, inquire within" man, what next

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Is it someone who works at the store? Or is it a service that the store is offfering?

3. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

What isle? Next to the automotive guy that'll change your cars oil in his garage?

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

the store is offering it

5. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

Sure doesn't sound like too much competition...however it is the first time i've ever heard of such a thing. If you find out anymore details be sure to let us know...like what they're using for equip...pricing competitive etc.
    :alien:

6. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Go within, and inquire. Ask him about machines, and insurance. Ask him "how much for an average yard." I hate when people ask me that. Thank him very much, and offer him 15 dollars to mow your yard.
    Crawdad

7. edrenckh

edrenckh LawnSite Member

Maybe an LCO has offered to supply lawn service to the hardware stores customers. Could be a good marketing plan by the LCO.

Neither are in competition with each other, the store offers a service to its customers, the LCO gets business. A mutual benefit. The LCO probably gets his parts/repairs there too.

It may even be better than flyers. Anyone out there doing this yet?

I would doubt it the hardware store is hiring employees to mow, probably the LCO takes it on independently or as a subcontract.

8. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I've seen it before. Think about it, they have better access to equipment than most of us. Alot of their infrastructure is already i place. I knew of a couple of them who eventually were bought out by TG. Plus, they have the store to support them until they pick up enough business.

9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

LOL, they are going to get rich off that one. Better start lowering your prices now, BIG competition stepping in!! :p

10. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Take's all kinds. Just another form of advertising.