1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hardware Store Prices VS Dealers

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GravelyGuy, Mar 6, 2007.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I will have my licensing and experience classes finshed by the end of March and I am going to start advertising my fert. service soon for this spring. I already have a few mowing customers that want me to take care of their fert.

My question is, are the products from say Ace or Menards more expensive than dealers? I want to do some checking around, but I am really busy right now and I have not had the chance. I am also very new at this and I don't want to go to the dealer and not have a clue what I am asking about.

Currently all I have is a cheap Scotts type spreader that I use for overseeding etc. If I used Scotts chemicals it would make calibrating easier for me until I get the hang of things.

I am assuming pricing is fairly simple. I just need to determine my price per 100 SQ. FT. and then factor in the cost of chemicals.

Any info welcome, don't shout at me I'm really new to this.:laugh:

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

check out Lesco, UAP, Turf Specialties. you will get much better prices than retail stores. You will also want to get a comercial spreader. I have a extra Lesco spreader I would let you have for $200.
  3. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

And when looking at products, read the label. Often times active ingredients are different when comparing homeowner products to "commercially available" products. You're use rates will be different, so the product at your hardware that's cheaper, will cost you more, because you have to use more.
  4. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

A good distributor would be more than happy to help you out setting up your program. They don't bite, especially the hand that might someday be feeding them.....
  5. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I'll let you know.

Thanks for the advice guys. I took the day off school today to get my flyers ready and to check on some prices.
  6. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Also Gravel Guy, the hardware stores will not have the products you will need. Lesco will probably be your best bet. PBI Gordon will fit into your needs. Check them both out. Good luck.