Hardwood bark in the garden

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by muddstopper, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

You mean that pic I posted? No, that is what my source of compost is like.

2. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

"Ramial wood" refers to twigs having less than 7 cm in diameter. They contain soluble or little-polymerized lignin, the base for soil aggregates and highly reactive humus. These small-size branches are not used as firewood, even in the poorest tropical countries. The name and description of «ramial wood» was given in 1986 (Lemieux) under the French name of «bois raméal».

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I have tilled chips in for years with great results

4. treegal1

my interest in wood waste started with a machine like this.

I said " they are trowing away the good parts " and instantly looked at the how do I get some part of that bark and RWC.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnamTbYZVYo&feature=related

unfortunatly here we get very little hard wood, its mostly pine. but every now and then we get some logs come up and we always save the "skins" and "greens" for our selfs

5. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

That is one hell of a machine with one hell of an operator.

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

What do they use the wood for?

7. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

One hell of an operator. Wow - wonder if he ever crashes those poles into the cab - LOL he gets pretty close.

Many zoo animals eat that stuff - like Koala's I hope they replants - I think that stuff grows pretty fast??

8. treegal1

this is the part that gets funny, here they grow it for paper and (wait this is the best part) MULCH. the left overs are turned into the soil or used as fuel, or I scab some off of them every now and then if I can catch the right driver.

9. treegal1

3 year crop is what we see,1 year in the nursery. and then they take this machine that pokes a hole and punks the tree in the ground with a shot of food and that's it until "THE MACHINE COMES" 3 yeas turn around.

James, Phill says that with over 7000 hours in the seat he has only one near miss with the cab. wind screen cost him 250$ and he used the boom to pull the cage off of it some.

10. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

That's the king? Does he smell good when he comes home - LOL?