Harley or TR3?????????

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ltlbull, Oct 7, 2004.

1. ltlbull

ltlbull LawnSite Member

I have read the other messages about the TR3 and the Harley and I still can't decide. The TR3 is about 3500 and the Harley is about 6K where I am at.

I want to be able to do new lawns, and re-seed old ones.

Everyone around me uses Harleys, so I am leaning that way. I have a box blade, pulverizer, landscape rake and a tiller already.

Any advise is appreciated.

2. Not familiar with the tr-3 but I have a harley. I did yards with all the equipment you have and then got a harley, it sure makes life a lot easier. You'll be surprised how fast you can work ground with one.
  3. ltlbull

ltlbull LawnSite Member

Ok, here is my opinion on the subject.

The good:

Seems to perform as advertised as a box blade, scafier, and drag.
    Cuts off tops and fills in lows as advertised.

The bad:

Takes time to setup properly for soil conditions. On tractor, off tractor, etc.
    Seems to work a lot better with looser soil.
    Takes too many passes to get conditioned soil. Still clumpy dirt left.
    Scafiers not adjustable from tractor seat unless $900.00 option purchased.
    Not easy to fit in tight corners.

Harley rake
    The good:

What can we say. An awesome piece of machinery.
    Will cut and fill in top and low places.
    Leaves an awesome looking top layer ready for seeding.
    Takes one pass, maybe two.
    DO NOT HAVE TO LEAVE TRACTOR SEAT FOR ANYTHING.(Using hyd. top link and hyd. on Harley)

The bad:
    Will require more maintenance.
    Does not go as deep.
    Cost more.

Bottom Line:

The TR3 is a very nice piece of equipment that will almost give the finish of a Harley rake at the expense of taking more time. Unfortunetly time is money. The ideal situation would be to go in and use the TR3 first then come back with the Harley for dressing. The TR3 is priced to close to the Harley and comparable power rakes for what it does. The demo I did was for $4000.00. I purchased my Harley Rake for $5900.00 with hyd. The TR3 should be priced at about $2000.00 to $2500.00 and the hyd. scarfiers should be included. I told the company I would keep it for $2500.00. They are taking it back instead. I really think they are missing the market on this one.

My .2 cents,