1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

harley power rake , rockhound, or rototiller and york rake?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by JimMac, Jul 25, 2006.

1. JimMac

JimMac LawnSite Member

My name is JimMac from Boston- I own a asv RC50 rubber track loader. I am looking to install lawns. Should I get a harley power rake, a rockhound power rake, or a roto-tiller with a york rake to level with? What are the pros and cons of each? Ideally, rototilling the soil to 6" will insure a good germination (even if you are going to add new topsoil). But the power type rakes would seem to handle leveling tasks much faster. How deep will power type rakes dig the soil? Also, is there any such attachment that will fit my loader that will dig and overseed an existing lawn? Thanks for the info.
  2. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i have use them all and i don't like any of them
    i have yet to find the perfect yard prep attachment. i like the rockhound if the ground has a lot of rock and the ground is loose.
    if it doens't have much rock i like a pulavazer and a york rake
    i do not like a harly rake at all. they are fine on large flat spans but are hell on small craped spaces
    i wish there was a good ground prep for every thing but i don't think there is
  3. notoriousDUG

notoriousDUG LawnSite Member

My only input is that the Rock Hound works like nothing else for clearing debris but it is a VERY fargile unit, rough use WILL result in lots of down time. I also do not think it is made as much for leveling, thatis more of a Harley rake thing.
  4. elmo1537

elmo1537 LawnSite Member

depending on the soil conditions we use both. we will harley rake everything we can get to and the we will rockhound it. Works very well. There is no perfect solution to getting small areas but if you get into areas where you can fit a skid steer you can beat a rockhound and harley rake. The chain rock hounds are very tempermental but I have seen a rockhound that spins like a harley before and I talked to the guy and he said it worked so much better than the chain type. I guess when we are in the market for a new rock hound I will look into it more.
  5. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Take a look at this web site. I have one for my Toro Dingo and love it. It works great for all of the situations that I have used it in except for heavy rock applications that are around 3 to 5 plus inches. Even then you just have to walk behind it and pick up the larger rocks out of the top of the soil.

6. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

What price range are these running? I'm looking to pick up a Dingo 420 or 425in a week or so.
  7. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

using a rockhound during golf course construction was horrible on solid ground. York rake was alright but like gemma said, only good on large open spaces. That said, i think the rototiller might be were its at then rockhound.
  8. gammon landscaping

when i like the rockhound is where the grading contracor takes the teeth on the loader and turns them down in final grade so that the soil is loose a few inches down, then the rockhound is an ideal machine. i have a slight advantage here cause i still work for dad sometimes and do alot of the final grading before i come to install the lawn, when i have to go behind other people it is so much harder
  9. gammon landscaping

oh yea i hate dozers for grading yards they compact every thing so much, a front end loader is the only way to go
  10. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

DC are you asking for the prices of the Dingos or the Soil Conditioner?