1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Harley Power Rake

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by JQLC, Nov 16, 2005.

1. JQLC

JQLC LawnSite Member

Thinking about purchasing a Harley Power Rake. Never used one but have heard some cool things about them. I currentley have a power tiller (5ft) for my tractor. Does anyone have any advice or info on them. Thanks to all

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i have 1 for sale
    they work great a real time saver
  3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think there's anything better for finishing a lawn after spreading topsoil. We have even used it to pull down and grind up a 15 ton pile of frozen soil in the middle of January. For renovations, it works OK, but really shines on open, exposed soil. If you seed yards for a living, you need to look into getting one.
  4. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

we've rented one a bunch of times for our skidsteer what an awesome attachment. i've run down small shrubs with them as well. lol... on the top of our list to buy when we start back up in the spring.
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Why are you selling it?
  6. brownsallseasonlandscape

brownsallseasonlandscape LawnSite Member

Ive heard that old gravel drives can be made new again. We have also used one several times and it is the only way to go. At one job we used a box tiller like you are talking about and spent the next two days raking and breaking up clods. A Harley Rake is the only way to go.
  7. tractrpowr45

tractrpowr45 LawnSite Member
    from NY

When you use a Harley rake it windrows the debris to one side or the other,
    correct? Then you still have to pick up all the trash from a new lawn. Do you keep making passes back and forth until you combine all the windrows into one big pile and then pick it up with a loader? I would like to know how other landscapers operate a harley because I intend on using one in the spring.
    The harley rake website claims you can do a lawn in thirty minutes. Any input would be helpful.:blob4:

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i dont do site prep anymore
  9. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

30 min may be a bit of a stretch. Time depends on all kinds of variables. I will wind row or rake debris to the end of where I am working. All depends on how much debris there is. Once you get a power rake you will wonder how you did without it. I have had many people stop in the street to watch me. Neighbors always seem to make their way over to watch. There is some technique. I'd say if you are a fairly good operator it will take about 4 hrs to get it down.
  10. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

How does a Sidewinder power rake compare to a Harley rake. You can see a video at www.turfteq.com