Harley Rake Instructions??!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mvon, Feb 13, 2005.

1. mvon

mvon LawnSite Member

Hello All,

I'm not a landscaper, but a happy howner who's been reading here for a while. I have several acres of horse pasture that constantly need to be reseeded, along with other areas of lawn that need to be properly graded. Reading all that I have, to do the job I have a Harley rake ($6500 for a 6' w/ hydraulic angle) mounted on a Cat 216B. I've seen some impressive photos of work done by you gents, and some as a "first try." And I have the Bobcat video where they fill low areas, and then magically rake. But...

Would you offer some tips on how to start, or suggest references on how to go about this? (The rake is to be delivered next week, so if there are instructions there, forgive my ignorance.) Other available equipment includes a tractor w/ a 2 bottom plow and suitable disc. Thanks, Martin

2. since you have several acres to work on just hook it up and just start playing with it to get the hang of it, its not hard. You have a nice setup of equipment so start playing and have fun withit.

3. Ever Green

Ever Green LawnSite Member

Where could I get my hands on that Bobcat video?

4. firedude26

firedude26 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mich

Glenco the makers of the Harley rake, have a video also, i agree with JB . Just get on it and play you will figure it out soon enough, it took me a hour or so to fully figure the heights and stuff out. Some times you might start something and think to your self " Boy this looks like crap" then by the time your done,,,,,,, SWEET JOB....

Good luck

5. mvon

mvon LawnSite Member

The Bobcat video can be had by going to their web site and getting the CDRom.

http://www.bobcat.com/news/cdrom/index.html

Their version of the Harley is slightly different, but appears to do the same functions.

6. The Good Earth

The Good Earth LawnSite Member

Better yet, hire someone who knows what to do. Another reason this site should be pay to play. Someone in Maryland just lost a potential job because we share our info with the world.

From a business standpoint I am starting to think we are behind the learning curve.

7. firedude26

firedude26 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mich

It is his equipment, why should he hire someone to operate his equipment? Did you hire someone to operate your equipment or do you operate it yourself?

8. The Good Earth

The Good Earth LawnSite Member

I am a business owner which leads one to believe that when I am not operating my own equipment I am paying an employee, who I am making money off of, to run my equipment.

I also do this as my fulltime job. I will venture to guess, judging by your screen name, that this job supplements your income as a firefighter. I started my business as well to supplement my income as a firefighter. However after a few union tiffs and getting tired of babysitting an engine company for 8 years I packed it up and called it a career. I am much happier now, and much wealthier.

My point was that I know of no other line of work that has a forum this active that readily hands over information the way we do. I am all for being a good samaritan but the rules of economics have to come into play at some point. If we continue to hand over information as readily as we do eventually it will hurt the bottom line. Maybe not mine, maybe not your's, but somebody is going to take a hit.

I equate a question like his to someone calling me and asking how do I go about doing a job. Would you answer the question on the phone knowing it is a complete waste of time on your part because time is money and you are giving away your time for no compensation? I surely wouldn't do that.

9. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Send me a PM. I am down in Mt. Airy and also am a Fire fighter. I could show you a few tricks. Only catch is I got a spot at my house I will show you the tricks on. :D

10. mvon

mvon LawnSite Member