Harley Rake or Rock hound

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bishoplandscape, Mar 29, 2008.

1. bishoplandscape

bishoplandscape LawnSite Member

Just curious what everyone likes better. Both about the same price wise. I usually use a harley rake because I can shave the ground more precise and the rock hound is great for getting everything real level and you don't have to rake up the rock piles at the end. What do you guys like to run on your skid steers?

2. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

rockhound does a great job. Can be VERY expensive to repair. My dealer quoted me about 5k to replace my tooth bars and chains on a model 6b. It's sitting, unusable because I don't want to spend that on bars and chains. Rest of rockhound in great condition but no bars, no work!

3. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

if there's a third option i have been very happy using a rotodairon. leaves a great level seedbed.

4. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

fix it yourself when you are slow...you really don't have anything to loose if its not making you money except the money for parts

5. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

The preparator is much better than a rock hound.

My opinion is if you are seeding or Hydroseeding then a Harley is best.If you are mostly laying sod then a rock hound/ preparator is best.

6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I use the preparator for everything. Although in the heavy rock I think the Harley would be more efficient. Generally I don't think the Harley machines do as good of a job leveling.

7. YellowDogSVC

from TX

$360 a tooth bar. They don't hold up is my point. The tooth bars wear out in the rock we have hear due to the strength of the hydro motor. I run mine at low engine rpm and it still binds up and breaks a chain or cracks a tooth bar. The tooth bars are not thick material. I used angle iron to give them "a spine" to help strengthen them and the angle iron cracked too. Bad design on the 6b. Too wide and too much flexing in my opinion. I figured I needed at least 13-15 bars plus 3 chains so that is why it is sitting. Too much money for a part time attachment.

8. YellowDogSVC

from TX

what's the name of the brand name of preparator?

9. bishoplandscape

bishoplandscape LawnSite Member

I was always big on Harley rake just because it rips through hard clay and your able to push a good amount of dirt with out cramming it in the bucket I also like to grade driveways so don’t want to remove any gravel. I asked everyone because I've been looking at new Harley rakes but I'm thinking instead of one new one I'm going to buy both used, because they both have their place

10. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

FFC is the company that makes them.
    KSSS speaks Highly of them.
    I still use my Harley rake but I want a a Preparator.It has a drum instaed of chains.