Harley rake

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Rollacosta, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Rollacosta

Rollacosta LawnSite Senior Member

2. Rollacosta

Ok what exactly does a harley rake do??? i'm looking for a pto tool that will rotovate and level ground ready for sowing grass seed..

Thanks for any suggestions
  3. ToroMaster

ToroMaster LawnSite Member
    from Neenah

No that was not a harley rake. A Harley has a steel shaft that spins with carbide tips about an inch and a half long to take out thousand a divots like a golf club. It doesn' t bury the rocks either. It collects them between the two plates on the front of the machine. You then dump the pill of rocks and scoop it up with your bucket. A harley rake is about 6-7k. Worth every penny. If you want to install lawns you still need and brillion seeder and a straw blower.
  4. Rollacosta

So has anyone here ever used a stone burier??.No ned for stone collection and a seeder can be attached to the machine ,making it a one pass operation[or so the makers claim]
  5. amvega

amvega LawnSite Member

I have never used one, but did see it in action. It's not very impressive for the price. A rental business had one and needless to say they got rid of it. Also another landscaping company also bought one the same year. Talked to the guys and they said it sucked. They said it worked good in screen topsoil, but then again what doesn't. They also got rid of it. I think you can buy a rock hound for about the same price. Those pictures for that stone burier are not what it's cut out to be. Remember they are trying to make a sale.
  6. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

Harleys are a solid investment. Keep your eye out for a used one. I picked one up for $1500 on ebay.
  7. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

A good friend of mine had a harley rake for his tractor, now has one for his skid steer. Only attachment he has for it besides the bucket. He swears by the thing. The way he does it though is he uses the machine to grade and sort out rocks, he then has a couple spanish guys follow him around with wheelbarrows, rakes, and shovels to pick up rock piles, and just put the finishing touches in.