Harley rake

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by tthomass, Oct 4, 2007.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Okie doke, I've got a T190 with lots of attachments but I would really like to pick up a rock hound. I'm not $8,000 'wanting' a rock hound though and used, well I'm not having much luck there.

I have seen a harley rake but what I have not seen is one in use or used one. Looks like a rock hound without the bucket.

Can somebody learn me up?

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

A Harley and a rock hound are 2 different machines. Rock hounds are used while going in reverse to pick up rocks and debris in a hopper. A Harley, is a power box rake. It does collect and windrow rocks and debris to the end of the pass, but it doesn't collect them within itself. They are 2 fairly different attachments and while some guys try to argue which is better, I think they both have their pros and cons over the other.

3. tthomass

from N. VA

So I would use the harley rake to clear debris to the end of my pass. Line up my passes, ending the same place, use a bucket then to collect?

From the very quick ebay pricing I just saw, harley seems a lot cheaper. I love a rock hound but damn, they're expensive.

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Right, a Harley will collect them to the end of the pass, then you have to come back through and collect them with a bucket. Ideally, a rockhound would save a step, but they aren't quite as versatile.

5. tthomass

from N. VA

I see they have wheels..............any issues on uneven surfaces? Can you use it in reverse if need be?

6. Sunscaper

Sunscaper LawnSite Senior Member

A rockhound is only good for small areas. On a large area its more of a liability than anything considering time. I bought a harley in June used for
    $4k including shipping and the new 14 pin electric plug for my bobcat. I like it alot. I ran a preperator, rockhound, rockaway, and a harley when I had my business in PA. I chose the harley hands down. It scarifies, grades, widnrows, and doesn't rob topsoil all while moving FORWARD!! Hope this helps.

7. tthomass

from N. VA

Helping alot.

How does it do with larger stone? You know how rockhounds are limited to about a 4" max. Really you don't see much more than a 4" stone in most appliations but the present job I have going on is nothing but a rock hill sprinkled with crap dirt.

8. NHMan

NHMan LawnSite Member
    from USA

Rock Hounds are generally good for 3/4"-6" diameter rock. If you would like to demo both on a job let me know Ill bring them both out with no obligation and go over them both with you. (NOVA here) I may have a used Rock Hound as well but will have to check when in the office tomorrow.
    Matt

9. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

send me some info on the used one if you don't mind

10. tthomass

from N. VA

jack'n my thread and equip, dang!

Sent PM.