Harley Rake

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JRSlawn, Aug 5, 2004.

1. JRSlawn

JRSlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I put in new lawns and have seen guys using a harley rake. What does that do? All I do is spread topsoil and rock hound. Doing yards this way is pretty expensive for the customer. When I watched a guy using a harley rake all it looked like to me he was bringing all the nasty soil up and rocks up to the surface.

lease help :(

Jeff Smith
    JRS Lawn & Landscape

2. Joe Green Grounds Maint.

Joe Green Grounds Maint. LawnSite Member

Jeff,
    Using a Harley rake (or similar) gives the final grade a "putting green finish" if done right. If you are using a skid loader to spread new dirt on site it is minimal (rent it) to surface it with the rake. Good dirt shouldn't have many rocks in it, but if it does, a Harley rake will bring them to the suface and you can then get rid of them so that they don't creep through the customers lawn/sod later.

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, that's what we do. If the area is big enough to accomadate the skid steer and Harley Rake, we bring in topsoil, get rough grade, then Harley Rake to finish grade and use a laser level for the best possible finish. This process works great for us. If the area isn't very big we finish grade with the bucket and hand rake.

4. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Try doing a search on Harley Rake's - there should be a ton of info.
    BTW, I have one of the first T-5's made for compact tractors.
    I establish the subgrade, complete drainage and irrigation, emplace the topsoil then finish grade and seed/or sod.
    Works well, and better than that, is completed quickly.

5. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

question...I've used a harley rake once on a new baseball infield and it worked great. My problem being that we drove forward with the skid steer and it left huge ruts after raking and driving in reverse didn't seem to work. Did we use it right? Any suggestions?

6. ProLandscapes

ProLandscapes LawnSite Member

I would like to know how to make it work in reverse also.

JT

7. fencline

fencline LawnSite Member

Reverse the Hydraulic flow. Turns the drum the other direction.
    Andy

8. Jb3NH

Jb3NH LawnSite Member

Used on for the first time last month. It is a wicked time saver, all that mung that souldn't be in there in the topsoil is either compacted down deep or churned up to the surface.