Harley rakes on skid/ctl's

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Sunscaper, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Sunscaper

Sunscaper LawnSite Senior Member

I have an S205 Bobcat and a older 2002-2003 S-6 Harley rake. I used it a little last year and am still trying to perfect using it as well as I would like to.

I find that when reversing the drum and doing in reverse I have to raise the loader arms about 5" than if I'm going forward and even though it grades nicer in reverse the machine bounces over it tracks from moving forward and therefore bounces the rake. I then have to try and manually raise/ lower the loader arms to compensate for this.

Also, when moving forward I just raise the drum with the loader arms a few inches and use my bucket tilt control the raise/ lower the rake on the go. This also sometimes causes problems if I am going uphill.

Does anyone have any advice for me to speed up my production in operating this rake? I appreciate it.

2. hansondirtman

hansondirtman LawnSite Member

This is how I do it, and like the performance. When going backward have the drum rotating (where it contacts the ground) in the opposite direction from travel. Then have the lift arms in float and slowly "dump" your tilt cylinders until the front caster wheels lift the drum (and the loader arms) to the correct height-depending how deep and how much material you want to carry. Ultimatly you will have it set "just right". Then when transporting you can just lift the loader arms up, get to the new spot and put your loader arms back in float and the rake will go to the same settting. Works ok going forward, but better in reverse.

This way the rake floats and stay's level even when the machine is bouncing.

Hanson.

3. Sunscaper

Thanks Hanson,
    I'll give that a try. I never floated the arms before and that's most likely my problem.

4. KRtraxx

KRtraxx LawnSite Senior Member

Hanson You are so right about this..I agree 100% with you that this is the best way to use those drum rakes.Will be a very consistant job when your done .And if you do the whole thing in reverse you dont even have wheel tracks when your done.If you have rolling ground to work on do you think the 72" model works better than the wider ones? Some guys are leaning towards bigger to get more done faster.But when I'm asked this I still tend to think the 72" model displays the best results when done, unless your on totally flat ground.Which most lawns arent..

5. Sunscaper

Just curious what machines do you guys run the harley on? Are they vertical or radial lift?

6. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

we have one (never use it) but when we do its on a Case 1840

7. Superior L & L

Superior L & L LawnSite Senior Member

We have a harley for both Bobcats T190 and S185

8. Sunscaper

I used mine last week and found that floating the arms didn't work too well. I fixed my arms and it seemed to work better. How high do you set the front caster wheels?

9. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I ran a Harley on high flow on my T190 a few years ago, scarier than hell to see rocks fly that far.

10. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

What is the purpose of those rakes? I have only seen where they did a nice job on some extreme mud conditions but other than that I can't see what they are for. since they don't pick up rocks I would feel they can be replaced by a rock hound attachment.