harrassment by lunitcs

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Paradise Landscapes, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Paradise Landscapes

Paradise Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

2 weeks ago me me and My friend, Josh Santone was putting fliers out. A vehicle pulled over and handed me back a flier that we supposed to have dropped. OK, I said with a thank you. After covering 2 more streets in that adjascent area, I see the taking my fliers out of the paper boxes. Nothing I could do. So we cover the other side of town for a while, they foud us and kept following us, passing us and laying on the horn at 2:00am.

I got home about 3:30am and my mom tald me they called and left a message stating "Mr. Miller, we took all your fliers and recycled them for you" and had hang up. they called 3 times that night. A week later, this passed thursday, the same kids called me like it was a bussiness call, but at 9:00pm?
    gave me a fictitous number.

Tonight, Sunday evening , the day before Labor day, they called again. My mom recognized thier voices and they asked for me. I wasn't there. My mom asked them why they need to talk to me, they got real smart and errogant and started swearing and cussing over the phone :realmad: . After that, my mom called the police and filed a report. Now I'm really angry. :angry: :blob2: :blob2:

I will keep you updated on what is going on. However, You may ask me this: Why didn't I go the the police the next day after recieving 3 calls that night?
    ANSWER: I thaught I would let it pass, thinking that would be the end of it. And yes, we have a recording of those first 2 calls from the answering machine. (got bless my answering machine). That BS just burns me up. No reason for it. Yes, we were legal and within our rights as we were peacfully advertizing for work.

Have you had any problems like this? :help:

2. Anthony-MB

Anthony-MB LawnSite Member
    from georgia

Something like that happened to me about 18 years ago - yes, I still remember it.

I was doing pressure washing back then, and put my (and parents) home phone # on the flyers. Well as you know a couple kids got a hold of them and started calling.
    Couldn't really do anything about it - after about a month they finally stopped.

Lesson learned - NEVER put your home phone on any advertisement

Now I put my cell phone # for all business ads

3. Show-Me Lawn Care

Show-Me Lawn Care LawnSite Member

you were passing out flyers at 2:00 AM? Or is that a typo?

4. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Hell no. I'd rather them have my home number than my cell. At home, I can trace their calls, with caller ID, igonore them, let them leave messages, etc. All proof for the police.

5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

My cell phone shows all numbers that call me, and has a voicemail for messages. I'd rather have them calling that, then my home number.

Every once in a while I get a stupid call from a kid, but my phone is a voicemail only, and they get tired quickly of talking to it.

I caught some kids once burning my fliers that I had just put out. I turned around and scared the crap outta them. Took down their names and phone #s and told them I was going to pass the info along to their parents. They were younger kids and the one started crying. :D

6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

My cell is the same way. Caller ID, voice mail, the whole nine yards. If they call my house, I can more easily file a harrassment report, more easily have the proof, etc.

7. QTwo

QTwo LawnSite Member
    from NH

Set your phone number to only receive calls without call blocking. If you have caller ID, easy to trace. If not, *69 automatically lets you know the number that called you.

I used this one time after my wife got a heavy breather call. An address in the town apartments. Played "Turning Japanese by The Vapors to them on their answering machine for the next few months, late at night early in the morning. :D

8. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

newspaper boxes are for newspapers right?

9. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah I bet they loved that! Thats a pretty good idea! Nothing taste quite the same as revenge!

10. Anthony-MB

Anthony-MB LawnSite Member
    from georgia

yeah now days its hard to crank call someone