Harrassment On The Job From Neighbors. What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eddie B, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I'm 19, and moved to a new neighborhood this past September. I hold several accounts in my old neighborhood, but only 1 on the street that I used to live on. This account is an elderly woman, and i've known her and grown up around her since I was a little kid. She does her own back yard, and I do the front for $15 as a favor and for all that she's done over the years. Next door to her is a neighbor that I never have gotten along with. When I was 15, his daughter thought I saw her naked in her bedroom window... and she told her dad. He had every reason for being mad if this thing was actually true, but even if it was, I wouldn't be responsible in the first place. He's taken this way too far. He's stalked and harrassed me ever since this occured. He's done it to the point to where he's gone to prison TWICE over it. He just posts bail and continues on. It's now been 4 years since he started this stuff, and he STILL continues on. I'm now 3 weeks into the mowing season, and his restraining order has run out from last year. I'm mowing this account today and he comes out with his wife and causes a huge scene. Yelling, cussing, walking circles around me and my equipment. He even stood in front of me to prevent me from working. He wrote down my license plate number and started yelling it out loud, saying if I do anything towards his family I will regret it. I spent the whole time ignoring him, as I have done in the past. Calling the cops has proven useless in the past, as he just continues on and it seems to stir him up even more. I'm sick of it and I can't take it anymore. I want to help this lady out and she's been a huge part of my life all these years growing up, and our family is even in her will to take care of everything when she dies. I feel as if I need to stop servicing her account from a mental standpoint. Would you cancel this account? Is there another way to handle this?

2. greenwithenvylandscape

greenwithenvylandscape LawnSite Member

If she's that good of a friend, and you know other people in the biz, you could ask one of them if they would cut it for you for the $15 and avoid the whole mess.

3. Eddie B

from gone

The other LCO's wouldn't touch it for less than $25. I charge less because of our relationship.

4. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

What a whack job!!!! good luck man, i have no advice, accept to get a new restraining order if you can. If he comes on you customers property maybe you can ad trespassing to the charge?

5. Eddie B

from gone

The neighbor is friends with his wife. This guy abuses his family as well.

6. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Man, I HATE :angry: :realmad: :realmad: guys like that. I would just have to explain the situation to the lady and discontinue service, its not worth the risk and embarrassment.

7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I think I'd just beat the scheeite out of him!
    People like that have no place in my society.

Next time he comes close to you knock his ass out! :cool2:

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It sounds like another restraining order is order, here. Then, everytime I cut, I would set op a vidoe camera on the dash of your truck, and make sure you have a shot of the prop your working on, including by his border. That is flat out harrasment. Does he get up in your face and threaten you? Let him do it on video. That is assault.

9. Eddie B

from gone

He doesn't thow out threats. He just kinda stands there and walks around and yells. He looks like he's ready to punch me in the face and beat me down to the ground, but he hasen't touched me yet. I'm afraid that one day he will. I'm a friendly guy... I won't start a fight, ever.

10. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Bring somebody that will!

This type of person will not quit if he doesn't meet up with a stronger opponent. They just keep on until they win. The best thing you can do is tell the lady your mowing for that you have to quit. He's gonna snap one day and your gonna pay the price. Either find a "partner" for the day or leave it alone and stay healthy and sane!