1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Has any of your customers ever stolen your tools?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snippy, Aug 3, 2004.

1. snippy

snippy LawnSite Member

I was doing a yard for a customer, pruning trees and the customer was lending a hand , I was using a folding pruning saw and when I'd finished I put it down on the only path out to pick up later, cleaned up the yard loaded all the branches and crap on the trailer packed up but couldn't find the saw anywhere, searched the whole yard but it had totally disappeared, before I went to the dump I also unloaded all the crap out of the trailer and searched it too to no avail, I've got my suspicions but i'd never say anything coz I aint one hundred percent sure but its a strange one alright, have your customers ever stolen your tools?
  2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

No, never taken them, but a few wanted to borrow them though. No way that is going to happen.
  3. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

My advise would be to politely ask your customer is they have seen it. They may have picked it up accidently (out of habit) & put it in their garage, you never know. I have left tools at customers in past (one or twice in 10+ years). Always "found" them on next visit, they were left clearly visable by custmer other customer brought out. BTW, I wouldn't cause a big stink with the customer, folding saws are cheap, definatly not worth losing a customer over. This is why I have learned not to buy expensive hand tools (hand pruners, lopers & small saws), they get lost easily, or mis-placed by employees. For the past 5 years I have bought 3-5 pair of hand pruners each year all @ less than $ 5.00/ea. All work just as good as the $ 40.00 ones they replaced. Key with buying the cheap ones is know what your buying, (buy the cast steel ones). The cast aluminum tended to break.
  4. gml9

gml9 LawnSite Member

No customer has taken anything from me but I was out last year just to do a small job hedge trimming and edge a walkway...so I had my Echo handheld blower, Shin. string trimmer, and Echo shrub trimmer in the back of my truck(no trailer). Stopped by Walmart to buy charcoal for a cookout. While in line a lady had her purse snatched outside the garden entrance. So I get outside to my truck and all my equipment is GONE. Lots of people are doing this at Home Depots, Lowe's, etc....tarketing people with equipment and trucks to steal....by careful. All new equipment now....but that Shindaiwa trimmer will be missed....want to get another.....it was unstoppable.