Has any one done this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kelly's Landscaping, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Iv seen this around my area for years where islands or street corners are adopted by local companies and they in turn do some sort of planting or something similar. In the towns I work in there’s probably a few dozen of these spots I know of the spot will typically have a very classy wood sign made up with like gold or some other color inlayed in the wood. It will say something like Milford a small city with a big heart sponsored by .......................

Usually its a large business that does this and they never seem to maintain the area after the install which doesn't seem to make to much since to me. After all if you were going to spend your time and money making this garden you would think you would want it looking its best.

Any ways Iv never seen one that was sponsored by a farm or a landscaper but I think if done right instead of being a good will project it could be a real good advertisement for future work. I have a rather large island in mind and I may just try to develop it next year after I go through the town and get permission of course. I was just wondering if anyone else had ever done this or even thought of this.

I figure the initial cost are quite high but maintaining it would not be that much of a strain since we are in that business already. I also like being able to have total say in the final look instead of the constraints of a client’s budget or vision. I think if I do this it will be more like a park then a garden I would like it to be more of a destination then something you just drive by. The spot I have in mind is on my street and it connects I95 to the Parkway so the through traffic is quite sick. I figure it would be a nice way to get new business as you can see it now "we saw what you did on the corner of such and such and new we just had to call you"

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

in my town they called me and offered me this. they asked if i would put in planters, with some small ornamentals and annuals, in exchange for putting up my signs there. i told them no thanks

3. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Planters would not of interested me either bobby. The area I am thinking of is a triangle that's around 25 feet wide in the tip and goes back 100 feet or so and is probaly 50 feet wide at the far end. What ever I design would include a nice lush lawn on much of it which is currently 3-5 foot tall brush. I also would inlist my step fathers farm so I would share credit but also lower my costs quite a bit on the plants since thats what they grown.

4. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

In my town they have a thing such as you are talking, and it is publically advertised that business and individuals alike. I was thinking of doing it, I think it would be great advertising. One you would have you name on the site, every time you were working on it, your truck with your name on it would be displayed prominently. Since these are usually very visual places. You could work on it, during your "dead time" if you have such, or send your employees out to do it, when there is nothing to do. The other thing is, couldn't you deduct your time and resources on your taxes since you are donating your time and resources? Its always a good thing to give back to the community. Once you have this initially set up, you are maybe talking an hour a week max.

Derek

5. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

That sounds like a great idea. There is nothing like that around here, maybe it is something I should bring up in a city council meeting or something. Even if I wasn't able to do one.

6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

A few local guys do this in Town. One just gave it up after about 4 years. Kids kept damaging it and pulling the flowers out, it was just costing too much to keep it looking good. I would think this would only work if it was a drive by type place and not a walkby place. I used to think it was a good idea on his part but he was just fed up with it.