Has anybody done a job like this?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Son-in-law, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Son-in-law

Son-in-law LawnSite Member

I have a very good client that wants their trampoline buried in a pit, so that the jump surface is level with the surrounding lawn. The problems I see is drainage, a solid base for the frame, and want to use to keep the surrounding dirt from falling into the pit without creating a hazard. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    The soil in the area has a high clay content, so the drainage system I picture is something like a French drain. My idea for the dirt from the pit would be to use it to raise the surrounding area, so that any rain will run away from the pit. So, the only water to deal with would be direct rainfall, which is about 50" a year (record for one day is about 8").
    What I'm really concerned with is the safety issues. The family has three very active girls, with one a gymnast, and another a diver, this will get used alot. Thus, the need for a foundation and side walls built to last, while not creating any extra hazards.

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

[disclaimer] i've never done something like this exactly, but this is what i'd do [/disclaimer]

I'd dig a pit with a small excavator or loader/backhoe. Take care not to disturb any more soil than absolutely necessary. Dig the shape and depth out for the trampoline plus 1' for 6 inches of 4" rock with 6 inches of 3/4" trap rock ontop of that. Use a french drain like you said.

Next i would disassemble the trampoline, remove the bouncy part leaving only the frame. Put it down in the hole and build a wall with the large retaining wall blocks and make sure the top layer of block is going to be level and as close as possible to the frame of the trampoline.

The frame will be locked into the wall, but i think that'd be a fair price to pay to have the wall as close to the frame as possible. It'd also minimalize the amount of leaves/**** that gets trapped down their.

3. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

And the first person who hit their head on the edge of the wall will.............. Sue you for every thing you will ever have. Run don't walk from this one.

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

ah, they're kids, they're made of rubber, they just bounce! :D

5. Son-in-law

Son-in-law LawnSite Member

That's why I'm asking ???? to keep this project from ending up in court after an accident because of a retaining wall. Is there anything to use for a retaining wall that is no bigger than the frame pipe?
    I was planning on using a skid-steer w/ backhoe attachment, mainly for the need to grade area, and hauling the gravel from the street to the pit.

6. Jimmy348

Jimmy348 LawnSite Member

This thing sounds like a nightmare
    :dizzy:
    But on a second thought. You could run the plan by the local building inspector's office. If they issue a permit and sign off on the same then why not.

7. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Having the building inspector sign off on the project won't keep you out of court if someone gets hurt. Isn't enough money out there to try this one, otherwise the trampoline companies would have come up with some type of kit to sell.

8. glenjr10

glenjr10 LawnSite Member

i don't know what i am doing either, but this is what i think

i would dig out the ground where the trampoline is supposed to be located. then i would make a bulkhead around the entire perimeter about 2-3" away from the edge of the trampoline. (make the diameter about 5-6" larger the the trampoline).

when i say a bulkhead, i suggest taking a 4-6" X 8' post and sinking it 4' under the ground so that on only 4' or whatever the height of the trampoline is is above ground. then i would taper the top of the post away from the edge of the ground, into the hole, so that nothing gets in the way of the springs when they compress.

Then take lag bolts and secure thick pieces of plywood to the post, and backfill.

I don't know if this would help any, but it is what i would do.

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

RUN DON'T WALK!!!!!!

10. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

you could build a retaining wall and use the wall as the frame to support the trampoline. attach the frame that the springs attach to, to the retaining wall some how. This way the hole wouldn't need to be any deeper than how far the trapoline deflects down. This would also slightly help with the drainage issue (which will be a big one unless you are on a hill). Then I would change my name, phone, and address just in case.