Has anybody had this problem?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JSMLAWNCARE, Sep 12, 2003.

1. JSMLAWNCARE

JSMLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

I have a new hedge trimmer that I just got last week. I used them once and put them away until today. I got to the job site and got everything out of the truck and started up the hedge trimmer and the blades were rusted together. They were stuck so much that the motor wouldn't brake it loose, it just bogged the motor down. So needless to say... I was done at the job early today. What should I put on the blades to stop it from rusting like that? I would think WD or some sort of "oil" spray. However, I don't want the spray to damage the plants I'm trimming.

Jim

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I dont think they are rusted, I think the bolts which hold the blades together tightened up. Loosen the bolts, then try it.

3. b & t lawn care

b & t lawn care LawnSite Member

I have used chain saw bar oil for years have had no problems, shrubs have not been botherd, the bar oil dos'nt sling off.

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

i think ken is right

5. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

I liberally apply my dirty engine oil from my truck or if I'm out on the job and stuck for oil I use just about anything I have in the truck box which has included chain saw bar oil, 2 stroke oil, WD-40, transmission fluid and brake fluid. Once I stuck them in my five gallon jerry gas can of 50-1.

6. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

keep them soaked in kerosene or diesel fuel

7. JSMLAWNCARE

JSMLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

Thanks for your help. I loosen the bolts and it helped alot. I've thought of putting on all of what has been mention. But I didn't know what could damage the plant. But I guess aslong as it is not dripping off, mostlikely it won't bother them.

Thanks again,

Jim

8. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

You won't get enough oil off of the bar onto the plants to hurt them. We usually use spray on white grease.

9. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

Everytime we use a hedgetrimmer we spray the blades with silicone grease. This is the recommended type of spray that will not harm plant material.

Scott

10. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf LawnSite Member

White lithium spray grease works great.

I've been thinking the folks using the vegetable oil might have a good idea, just in case a customer should ever ask about it. Then you could say "it's all organic" or something to that effect.