Has anyone added fans to a hydro unit?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Ronlawn, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Ronlawn

Ronlawn LawnSite Member

I'm looking at a 2 yr old (low hours) Simplicity Champion ZTR 18hp-44in unit for $2800. Simplicity calls the hydros commercial grade. The pumps are under the seat, and have hose lines going down to the wheel motors. There is a filter in there, but no oil cooler or cooling fans!

The Citation model, the next step up, has fans over the hydros and I was wondering if anyone has ever added fans to help cool hydro pumps and extend their longevity? Would they pull too much juice and require a bigger alternator, etc?

I've run Dixon cone drive mowers for 10 years and like their lightness, and I don't want to get some overly heavy gauge ZTR that weighs 1000+ lbs crushing down on the turf. So I kind of like the idea of a mower that straddles the residential/Commercial category, but am worried about the hydros running cool enough. Thanks Ron. :)

2. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Most of the pumps I have seen with those fans on them do not have anything in the way of cooling fins...so I do not see the fans being of much help. The only thing they may do is keep some clippings from collecting around the pumps. But I have seen plenty of grass stuck around the pumps of mowers with fans.

I think your best bet at improving the hydro system if you really feel the need is to find a larger capacity oil resovoir or add an oil cooler to the system.

Blowing air at an aluminum block is not going to do much IMO...

3. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

I second the external oil cooler...

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know the Walker fans look kinda wimpy and the fins on the motor don't look like much but apparently it is important.

5. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Dixie chopper puts fans on there deck spindles looks cool.

6. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

Check out the setup that Wright does for their Sentars.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You can also make sure they are using synthetic oil in the hydro system. If they're just using a regular 10w30/10w40 you can safely switch over to synthetic.

8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

add an inline cooler and position it above the cooling air intake for the engine...

I think the fans on walkers are a necesity sinse you have all that heat generating equipment all enclosed (more or less) and in very tight quarters.

Marc

9. Ronlawn

Ronlawn LawnSite Member

Thanks for the ideas, the oil cooler sounds like the most effective way to go. And over the engine intake for air flow- great. Ron

10. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Just do not put it very close to the engine. You dont want to block the airflow to the engine or heat the air going into the engine too much so that you cause cooling problems for the engine.