has anyone been asked to

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by r-team ent., Mar 21, 2007.

1. r-team ent.

r-team ent. LawnSite Member

Recently I have been getting asked to combine all our lawn services in 1 weekly flat rate price. Have any of you been asked to do this? If so what did you like dislike and how did it work out?

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

What services mow and?,mulch seed fert .

3. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish I'd get asked... Sure would help my budget! It may hurt a little early when you have lots to do, but it may help to keep the $$ flowing during the slow times.
    I'd just figure all the services, then divide them by # of weeks for the season.
    Make sure you put a little clause in there for 'extras', make sure you have a 'begin' and 'end' date clearly spelled out. And make sure you can do all the services on your schedule. This should cover you if you estimate a little low on a service, and it should cover you if you say 'ending October 31', and the customer tries to get you to do an additional cleanup after the 'end' date, without paying additional fees. My 2 cents.
    Matt

4. BW Landscaping

BW Landscaping LawnSite Member

i do that for 75% of my customers, i even let them pay 12 months out of the year, i learned that doing this i get everyone on board for spring/fall cleanups, when before i was not getting them, plus im getting money every month of the year

5. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

that's fine. But make sure they sign a contract. What if they quit you after you mulch, clean up, and cut for a few weeks? Do they only pay you the monthly rate? You'll lose your @ss. I had a couple customers early on try to do me that way.

6. BW Landscaping

BW Landscaping LawnSite Member

yes i have them sign the contract. it works for some, some others rather pay me weekly

7. fairview

fairview LawnSite Member
    from TX

I give my customers a choice between "pay as you go" and 12 averaged payments, personal check or credit card. I have them sign a service agreement not a contract. If they cancel and they owe me money they have to cash out. If they cancel and I owe them (rarely) I work off the debt with additional services. The agreement is on a 3 part NCR 8.5 X 14 form. Original comes to me, yellow stay with the customer, pink is my copy if they don't accept service but call me back later I can look at what I estimated it originally and add 10%. I've used this for years. It stands up in small claims court. I've attached copies of it. This is the result of years of evolution to keep the customer from screwing with me. Each time they figure a new way to cheat, the agreement evloves one more step to counter. If you see any glaring problems I'd appreciate knowing.

A word of caution. If all of your customers are currently "pay as you go" DO NOT tell them they need to sign this to continue services. Offer it an an alternative otherwise you will lose up to 30% of your business. This is a "been there done it" sort of thing. Add new customers with this. Every new customer I add prefers and uses the 12 averaged payments.

Customers in rentals or homeowners in houses for sale can not elect the 12 averaged payments. My requirement is that they pay a month in advance, credit card only.

Attached Files: