Has anyone been ticketed for not having a guard on a trimmer or mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Someone told me that local town inspectors are ticketing LC companys for not having guards on their trimmers and mowers? Does anyone have any experience with this?

2. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you friggin' serious ?
  3. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

im in your neck of the woods i never heard that one. where at exactly
  4. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

what the F..K!!!!!!!! Can they do that?!?
  5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Honestly, that wouldn't surprise me. Maybe not a city guy, but a run in with OSHA could result in a lot of us getting fined..I have noticed a lot of the real big LCO's in Houston run guards, and I'm sure it has something to do with OSHA, Insurance, or just a general desire not to be sued. I also noticed though, that a lot of these "guards" were moved way up the shaft, out of the way..which may be a good idea.. It'd take all of 5 seconds to scoot it back down the shaft if needed...
  6. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Not that I would recomend anyone run without the guard..:rolleyes: , But that is one of the reasons my guard is in my truck..and not at home:cool:
  7. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

i highly doubt too that it was a city inspector...they would care less what lawn guys do....unless you park your trailer at your house and your city doesnt allow commercial vehicels to be stored at a private residence....then they will be on your A$$ day and night
  8. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

A friend of mine who is a brick mason was ticketed for not have the engine/pulley guard on his mixer. He had remove the cover to replace a pulley and had not yet put it back. They told him he could not run it until it was replaced. I also know of at least one LC that was ticketed because the guard on the PTO on his Walker was missing.
  9. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know about tickets but OSHA can get you for removing/disabling safety features on equipment.
  10. CuttersCove

CuttersCove LawnSite Member

Haven't been ticketed. I've had customers notice that we don't use the guards on mowers. I'm working on installing Operator Controlled guards so that will help a lot.

And the trimmer guards come off as soon as we leave the dealer. So they are lighter to handle. Though it didn't seem to help much on the Shindaiwa 272, the thing weighs a ton.