1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone bought a Dixie Chopper lately?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sunstate Lawn, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Sunstate Lawn

Sunstate Lawn LawnSite Member

I was looking at a 52" 07 for $6000. I don't hear much about dixie choppers. Why are they the fastest mower around? Are they the best cut? I'm going to go look at some Scags too.
  2. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

They're the fastest mower around because they can cut at 15 mph. I don't own one but know someone who bought a new one this past summer and loves it and has said that they do cut very well, even at high speeds
  3. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

I have not seen a new Dixie Chopper on a trailer around here in years. When I see a guy using one, he's usually going 30 mph, tearing something up and breaking every noise ordinance in the town. The look and construction of a Dixie has never been impressive- they are a mower that guys goof on, as far as I know.

But I have not seen the new ones.

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

They are the dominate mowr here! I have run them for years! You are looking at a 50" machine but what is the model? That will make a diffrence on the price! Yes they do cut very well!
  5. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

A very few people will come in here and tell you to buy one. I myself you couldnt give me one even if it was free. I have seen a grand tottal of 2 different choppers being used in all my years in this business and both of them cut like crap. As a matter of fact the crew that cut next to use for the last 2 years had one. Every week they would cut at the same time as us and they would watch me mow with our Cub Tank. There chopper cut so bad it blew chunks all over the yard every week and left uncut strips of grass. They had to double cut plus they were always cutting very slow. Finally this past year half way through the year they showed up with a brand new Cub cadet Tank M60 and the lawn went from terrible looking to beautiful.

Heck if I fabed up a deck and could mount it to a turd somebody would buy and swear by it. Same with the dixie chopper.

But this is just my oppinion and you know what they say about oppinions. They are like butt holes. everybody has one.
  6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

7. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

I have cut with them and they cut St. Augustine and Bahia fantastic! Great speed and handle really nice. You can also get the Amsoil bypass filter system installed right from the factory.

My friend/mentor has it on his 60" silver eagle 20th or 25th (which ever was 2 years ago) anniversary edition.

He runs a 50 that is 9 years old and has over 4000 hours on it, and his 60 has 2000 hours on it. He takes unreal care of his gear and it takes great care of him!

Anyone that blasts Dixie as poor quality I would tend to question just based on real life experience from a friend that depends on Dixie to live with a wife and 6 kids and he is the only income. If they didn't cut it, he wouldn't be buying them.

As far as that mower goes, if it has a Kohler on it and you can have them install the Amsoil system on it even if not, get it! It is a great machine and in our grass it will do a great job.

Just my opinion.
  8. Sunstate Lawn

Thanks Tama. I have one account thats about 17 acres of mostly open space. I want to use the DC 52" for that and some other stuff.
  9. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Even with a 52" it is going to take a LONG time. That is going to take a half day at least or more unless you partner with someone else with a 50, 60, 70" machine.

Good luck this season and happy buying! That mower will make you happy for sure! Just be sure to take care of it and it will take care of you!

10. Sunstate Lawn

right. This is a replacement for one of my wb gravelys. I also have a 52 exmark. I always heard that Dixies were the cream of the crop, but I've never been on one.
    Thanks again.

Are you an actual drummer? I'm a guitarist.