1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone delt with these property maint. co?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PLS-Tx, Jan 19, 2010.

1. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Level 1 Maintenance.

We started doing a small commercial property for them last month, they are a pain.

1st they want it serviced 52 weeks a year, not a big deal. In the off season I just have one of our guys go pick up trash and blow the walks 2 or 3 times a month, then we cut it 1 or 2 times.

They want us to have a manager sign a work order, again not a big deal. Problem is they have been calling or emailing us every week to make sure it was done on the day it was scheduled, uhh, isn't that what the work order is for. :dizzy:

We had to fill out 24 pages and fax it to them, contract, Insurance info. ect.

Then they tell us they want proof of commercial auto policy, that's a new one for us.

Now they are saying they want to be listed on our general liability, commercial auto and workmens comp. policies.

I could go on but this is long enough.

Also, REO Allegiance? They have been much easier to deal with.
  2. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

Seems like a huge hassle! I put a bid in for the Cincinnati intl. airport a few years ago for a relatively small area they had bought and wanted mowed 38 times per season, and they had around 25 pages of info to fill out too! They even wanted the serial numbers of all the mowers to be used?!! The big catch though, they insisted this area to be mowed, a little over 7 acres, had to be BAGGED!! That was it for me, I didnt even send it in, and have no idea who got it. NO ONE bags the grass around here. The mowers chew it up and disperses so well, you cant even see any clippings anyway.

I would look at how much you are making off this account and weight whether it is worth it or not.
  3. R & R Yard Designs

R & R Yard Designs LawnSite Senior Member

Cutting at an airport, and if its around the taxi or runways, had to be bagged when we did a bid for a small one. The chance of blowing up a jet engine is very high, not a risk i want
  4. AzLawnMan

AzLawnMan LawnSite Senior Member

Two things, everything your saying, all the Property management companies I work for are all listed on my policies. I always have my insurance company call them before I start work and get them listed, only because when its time for them to pay me I dont want any excuses. I send them insurance, w-9, w-10, a copy of my business license and a copy of my articles of organization.
    But they may be looking for a reason to get rid of you, sorry to say. When a company starts asking for stuff all at once, usually theres a problem. Provide everything they ask for. None of what your saying is not out of the ordinary, IMHO.
  5. PLS-Tx

from Texas

Wow, that would do it for me too, bag 7 acres. :dizzy::dizzy:

We don't bag anything, surely not 7 acres.
  6. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

all normal stuff well not the serial numbers on the mowers but everything else. Level 1 has asked me to do a few things I bid them and they then told me they were looking to pay less than 20% of my bid and that the mulching and fert was to be included.
  7. PLS-Tx

from Texas

Why would they be looking for a reason to get rid of us, thy just hired us? :dizzy:

I told them we would check with our agent if he advised us not to do what they are asking then we are done.

Also, if they were going to tell me how to run MY business then they could find someone else.
  8. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

The area they wanted bagged was not anywhere near any runway, it used to be a small subdivision and once the airport bought the land, all the houses were torn down, just the streets and driveways remained, it was very far from their runways though, I have no idea why they wanted this area bagged? Im sure the whoever got it is making a small fortune on it, 7 acres-bagged, at least $750.-$800. per cut I would think?
  9. PLS-Tx

from Texas

I think sometimes it just people on a power trip.

There was a local prop manager here a while back, he would get on the guys trailer and check to see if his blades were sharp. :dizzy::dizzy: Not us but another lawn service.

I want our clients to be happy with our service but come on don't be an idiot.
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No, I haven't.
    Actually that's not true, I do believe they called me once or twice over the years.
    If I recall things didn't get much past the initial greeting.

Avoid serious injury: Do NOT attempt to run my business.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010