1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone else noticed this lately.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Albery's Lawn & Tractor, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Each time I have came to this site in the past few days I always see atleast one thread (this morning 3) where new guys are thinking about getting into the bus and are asking for advise but then say money is no concern, they just want the best Z out there. Maybe it's just me but if you have plenty of money already why in the heck would you want to get in to this line of work. This is hard labor in the heat day after day. It's alot different then just mowing your own 1/4 acre lot on saturday afternoon. Sometimes I just think people think this industry is easy money and have no clue whats invovled in actually running a business.
  2. M&SLawnCare

M&SLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I would hope they take the advice of others that have done it, and have been saving up at their full time job to support their claim of "money is no issue" when buying new equipment. More than likly they find out how easy it is to finance a new mower and think they will easily make enough to afford it.

I agree though most people have no clue whats involved when they start up. I don't even worry anymore when i see some guy hauling a mower around in the back of his van doing work for nothing, because almost all of them are gone as soon as the heat of the summer hits (and the droughts) and then i pick up their clients without even advertising. June-July has always been my biggest months for gaining new clients :laugh:
  3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

You know how many guys I have seen this year with new ztrs. I can guarantee next year most of them I will not see. people do not realize how much different this business is than just mowing your own lawn. So, many other things to do and keep up on than just mowing, let alone other services that you offer. Also, they think you can just put a ad in the newspaper and your phone will ring off the hook, not so, at least not here.
  4. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Heck, last year I spent roughly $2,500 in advertising w/ different papers, and ended the season with only 20 or so clients (last year focused more on installs rather then mowing) and this I have spent maybe $250 and have tripled my client base mainly by word of mouth. NEWSPAPER CLASSIFIEDS SUCK!!!!!
  5. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a good point because I have noticed the same thing. I have responded to a few of the threads, but most I just read and go on. The person posting the question is totally clueless about WBs, sulkeys, hydros, and what brands of hand helds to buy, but.... money is not an issue. Hmmmm (scratching head) How can this be? Another type of post I have read lately is the guessing games. "Guess what happened here, guess how this truck caught on fire etc." Kinda strange, but makes me wonder if they can't think of anything else to post, so they post the money is not a problem and the guessing game posts....
  6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Well I want the best Z for me, because I'm mostly solo and take very good care of my equipment. Since I'm the one on it most of the time I want the most productive machine I can get. I will shop and ask questions for months before making a decision. I have bought most of my ZTR's at well below market price, I was just patient and waited for a good deal to present it's self.

Money is important to me, but I will pay a little more to get the ZTR I want and need, especially if I can get some good dealer support.

I'm not sure if there is a such thing as the "best" ZTR out there. They all seem to have good points and bad.

To you guy's just starting out, the biggest mistake I've made is not getting enough HP and ended up trading for a larger ZTR. Costly mistake, get the one you want or need. Just my opinion.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

As a general rule, anytime someone says 'money is no issue,' you can safely assume it is.
    At least that's usually the case when a customer says that to me.

Now the fastest way to find out for sure is to send them towards the absolute most expensive thing you can think of.

That has never failed to fix the problem, at least not for me.
  8. stidrvr

stidrvr LawnSite Member

Well, this is my first post on this site, although money IS and Object. I tend to put myself in a different category. For some strange reason I have a fascination with Lawn and Garden equipment. Power equipment that is. I my self would like to start small "Side Business" mainly just part time. No more then a dozen or so clients. I plan on still working my full-time job but just using this for added cash flow and a "Toy Fund".

Don't get me wrong, I'm in it for the extra income, but also the finished product. That would be my focus. As far as the "Money is No Object" I've often done that, only in my head though.

I'd like to spend X amount of dollars on brand X product, THAT IVE RESEARCHED.

Now insert famous "Money is No Object" tag line. This can give you results that you may not have thought off because something may have been just shy of you original target price. Case in point. I WAS a firm believer in John Deere. Ever since the introduction of the "Depot Deere's" it seems that they have slowly been going downhill (my opinion only).

Anyway, I always saw these Orange ZTR's along with the Exmarks and Toro's in my area. I also heard people referring to SCAG. Never knew what they were. Honestly I thought SCAG was an attachment of some sort. Remember I wasn't to familiar with commercial equipment or ZTR's. After reading almost the entire Scag website, I have decided to adjust my original spending limit.

Granted although this long schpeel isn't exactly what you guys are referring to just remember that there can be alternate meanings of ones question.
  9. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Money is no object when you are sitting across the desk from your CPA, figuring up how much your liability, Comp., commercial vehicle insurance, gas, payroll, taxes and repair bills are, right?!? Better plan on getting one comfortable mower, b/c you will spend LOTS of hours on it to pay ALL the bills, if you do things legit.
    Maybe a little off topic, just a little, I met with my accountant today, and I'm a little bitter.
  10. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

Well said. Yes, I have noticed it and believe that having the intent NOT to post for these people is the best solution.