Has anyone else noticed this?!

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by jajwrigh, Feb 12, 2004.

1. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

It seems like in the last week there has been 1 million newbie questions about 21" mowers! Has anyone else notice this? Can we design an orientation that requires new members to use the search function for all questions for the first month or something? It seems like every other post is the same!:angry:

2. BOTURF

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

i may get bashed for saying this but remember we were all newbes or rookies at one time and we were just so excited to find a site this this.

3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Sometimes I get discouraged when I come here and see the same old questions, same old arguments, etc from a fresh crop of newbies. Kind of repetitive.

But, I just try to skip by them and read something else.

4. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

It's true...there are a lot of questions that are being asked that have been asked and answered before. The fact is, LawnSite.com is growing at an amazing rate in regard to membership. In January alone we had nearly 1,000 new members sign up at the site.

Even though we encourage new members to use the search feature, the fact is everyone likes to have their questions answered directly. In time the "newbies" also become veterans of the site as well as the industry. There is definitely a cycle to this site. If you see questions you can answer, help out. Just remember when you came to the site for the first time....

5. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

941 New members in January 2004!!! More than double any month in the past.

2,351 New threads in January 2004!!! More than any past month.

27,084 Posts in January 2004!!! More than any other past month.

30 days! WoW! THANK YOU MEMBERS!!

6. FFMED74

FFMED74 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

The only thing I would liek to add, being that I am still kind of new is this, when you search, it isn't the most user friendly way to get the info. You type in your request and then all these threads pop out that may or may not have the title you want, so then you have to sort through and find the one you want. It can be a pain, but you know what, I dont mind answering the questions I can and then staying quiet when I dont know. I must say you all have been a great help to me and thank you for the great site!!!!

7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

And maybe something new has come out on the market that we arent aware of yet and we can learn something new from it

8. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Plus the new threads allow for the educated new memebrs to reply to them.

I don't see the big deal, Just don't read them. Would you rather have a site with no activity?

9. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

Make sure emails are not being sent to junk folder.

10. maal

maal LawnSite Member
    from georgia

I agree. Although I am somewhat of a newbie too, I understand the frustration with seeing the same ol posts.

Keep in mind that this industry is not like the computer industry where there are leap years of innovations every few months. There is not going to be alot of groundbreaking discussions that some of the more seasoned pro's havent discussed already.

Like the saying goes "nothing new under the sun." Just the same old issues wrapped in different packaging.

Every question on this board could be considered a newbie post to someone who has experienced your dilemma before.

I for one greatly appreciate and respect the guys who respond to the same ol posts that my fellow newbies submit.

Thanks