Has anyone ever advertised in a church bulliten?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Petr51488, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Has anyone ever advertised in a church bulliten? If so, how was the responce rate? Does anyone ever look at these? I allways look at them while im in church lol I was also wondering how much they would charge for them.. Thanks in advance.. - Peter
  2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never seen adds in our church bulletin, didn't know churches put adds in them. Personally, I don't like doing work for people that I see on a regular basis, unless I know them and that they aren't a PITA. I would hate to be doing work for someone that goes to my church and them be one of the picky people that I drop or get pissed at. I think it would be weird seeing them after that.
  3. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I mow a couple people from my church, they are some of the best customers I have. The pastor is one of my customers also. Good word of mouth through them.
  4. Petr51488

from NJ

This church is a church that i go to once in a while (once every 2 months) Its a few blocks from my house. The church that i go to every week is in Jersey City (about 30 minutes away) So its not like i see these people every week in church. There are adds in this bulliten (its about 2 full pages) about tree service, food stores, funeral homes, etc. I have not seen one lawncare add in there in a while. I was also wondering how much it would cost for about 2-3 months.
  5. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not saying it's not a good idea, I've acually done work for some people that go to my church. Most of those people are people that I don't have to worry about though, they are "easy to please". I think you actually have a great idea and it may work very well. Call your church and see how much it will be, who knows, it may be a great way to get your name out there and get some more business! BTW... how big is your church?
  6. Petr51488

from NJ

Lol i knew you didnt mean thats it not a good idea. I too don't want to work for people that i would see on a weekly basis. I see what your saying with "easy to please". I don't know how big the church is. Are you asking about how many people go there? or what? lol Theres 3-4 masses there and i think theres at least 200+ people who go there each mass (well at least 2 of them) But the thing is, being that im putting this in a church paper, people will think im going to be working for 1/2 the amount that im normally suppose to get. I don't want them to get that impression. Peter
  7. lawn

lawn LawnSite Senior Member

don't even bother.... I put an add, paid a lot of money and got just one call. This lady was so cheap that wanted me to do cut the grass for $5 a cut! no way!
  8. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Ran an ad for an entire year. $800. One response. For fertilizing. I lost the bid over $5, yes $5. I was a dollar more per application than another guy. The parish member told me he wanted to give a fellow parish member (me) the money and could I match the bid. I said no, I lost the bid.

I couldn't wait until I was called back to see if I wanted to renew the ad. That poor slob took an ear-full from me about cheapskate parish members. Never again.
  9. Classic Lawn

Classic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking of putting an add i our church bulletin but put a little twist on it and donate some much of what i make a profit on back to the church. so it doesn't look like iam just in it just to help myself out but help the church out to people my be more opt to respond to the add if they see some of the money is going to be donated. i dont know its just a thought.
  10. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

I put an ad in the church bulletin where my parents attend mass a few years ago. I paid somewhere around $360 for the year. It resulted in two calls and I didn't land either one. Both of them were mow only accounts. Needless to say, it was a one year deal. This is a very large church too. I personally feel there are better ways to advertise and get a decent return.