Has anyone ever buried a trampoline?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Beartooth, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Beartooth

Beartooth LawnSite Member

I have a customer who would like to have their trampoline buried in the ground. I have a pretty good idea of what I think will work, however, I am wondering if anyone has been through this process and how it went. Also, are there any liability issues I should be thinking of outside of the normal scope of any other project?

2. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

I just saw a big thread about this 2 days ago. Check the search view.
    JOSH:waving:

3. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe I don't fully understand what they want, but I'm thinking serious drainage issues.

4. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Why not cut it in half and take it to the dump? What happens when Verizon or Comcast comes along.

5. ccash

ccash Banned

i have burried a body before

6. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

You're essentially just digging a pit and installing a retaining wall so you have an opening the exact width and depth (height) of the trampoline. In a perfect world you could put a center drain in the pit and pipe out to daylight, but in reality you're probably going to a drywell. I've bid doing this but haven't done it, but it seems like it would be the same process as sinking an acrylic spa.

Don't know about liability- as long as you build something properly, I'm not sure what you could be held liable for. After all, if building something that was potentially dangerous opened you up to that much liability, no one in their right mind would build pools, firepits, retaining walls someone could jump off of....

Dave

7. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Liability is the big issue.

Consider:

the top of the retaining wall and what that will be like to impact when a kid misses the trampoline.

what happens if something or someone goes through the trampoline into the hole.

drainage.

animals.

Trampolines are usually listed by homeowner insurance policies as unacceptable because of the frequency of accidents with serious injury. You are only adding the potential for more injury and/or difficulty accessing an injured person. This is not something to take on unless you speak top an attorney and your insurance company.

Run away!

8. PaperCutter

Interesting.

While I agree that it's a hazard, to go along with my previous post- where do you draw the line? Andrew, I totally agree- consult an attorney as well as your insurance agent- but there's the whole issue of common sense. The few trampolines that I've seen buried have had those side fences on them, to keep you from bouncing out. In an application like that, I would think the trampoline is no more or less safe than one standing on grade.

It's probably not a project I'd take on, but professional legal advice is probably the way to go if you choose to pursue it.

9. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I did a sem--built-in trampoline while working for a contractor out west. It was a property carved out of a hill side in Idaho. The homeowner owned the local building supply company and the Keystone Block distribution in the area. I felt like it was a pretty bad mix, but I was not in control of the project.

We integrated a half circle into the retaining wall and built up the lower grade so that the trampoline was even with the top of the wall. This meant that we had concrete right next to the edge of the trampoline. We could not set it up so that the trampoline edge covered the wall because of the design of the trampoline.

If you missed the trampoline even with just part of your body, you were going to pay a price. Just think how easy it is for a kid to fall to one side on the trampoline and have his head go past the edge (even with one of those "fences" around it). You cpuld easily be responsible for a cracked skull. It bothered the heck out of me when I saw this thing come together. Worse yet, this guy did not have a "fence" around his.

Being open on one side took away any drainage or access problems.

I don't think you'll find too many more things that you can do in a residential landscape that have this kind of liability. Read your own home insurance policy. I expect that the only three particular items that you will see listed are trampolines, pools, and certain dog breeds. That should tell you something. As soon as you do something that changes how that trampoline is set up, you are taking the liability away from the manufacturer and all of their well lawyered disclaimers and putting it on your back.

You should never stray away from playground equipment specifications. These companies are constantly in the line of litigation and they spend a lot of money on attorneys to protect them. The easiest way to protect themselves is to be able to make very specific specifications. When an accident occurs and some of those specifications were not followed, the product is no longer being used the way the manufacturer sold it to be used. The entity that altered it is now responsible.

10. PaperCutter

I stand corrected- hadn't thought about it in that way.

Dave