Has anyone ever hired a salesman?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by LawnBrother, Feb 12, 2006.

1. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Just an idea I have been kicking around. Has anyone here ever hired a salesman to land accounts? I would think that a good commissioned salesman could really bring in a lot of accounts. What do you guys(and girls) think? If you have had one working for you, what were your results?

2. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Its an idea. I would think that you would have to have a pretty large company to justify hiring one, and to pay for him!

3. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking about this last night. I was thinking though, what kind of commission would you pay this person?

4. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, to grow you have to be selling. My adivse would be to find a retired business man or sales man and hire him, her part-time. Pay hourly plus commission, enusre they keep track of all leads, who they spoke with etc. Sales ia a simple yet over looked process. The more calls, the more sales.

5. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I posted this question weeks ago and no one responded so I thought it was a bad idea but I guess maybe not. I also now think you probably would have to have the manpower and equipment to support consistant jobs coming in.

6. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I think doing that is a great idea "salesperson" But for that person to make a living they need to be selling selling selling. Lawnbrother just gauging it by your equipment list you wouldnt be able to handle the jobs that the sales person brought in. I guess i would go the route that i went which is to step away from the shovel and hire people to do the labor work why u sell, and go from there.

7. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

Used to know a guy that was a salesman on counstruction jobs. He got 7% of the total price of the job. Not much but it sure added up. He was a real smooth talker and got in with some very large businesses. He had like 3 construction companies that he knew well and only used them for the work. Then he would tell the business that he could handle all thier needs. As far as I know he has done very well.

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

You don't say in your profile, but the equipment you have probably means you are solo.

The best salesman you can find: Yourself.

I consider every finished job a "marketing brochure" for everybody to see. Good work go a long way to help in any selling effort. In some markets, it may be all you need. In others, you may need to spend money on other things.

A $35 investment in business cards, and a $3 wallet to carry them with you at ALL times can be a big help. I always am willing to give anybody a business card, even though any chance of work might seem remote at the time. The cards are a very inexpenssive way to get your name in front of people, no matter what the setting. As a business owner, you are ALWAYS selling, any place, any time.

I'm shocked at the many, many situations I've encountered with small business people, contractors who might be working the same residence as myself, with NO business cards. "... I ran out," "I have some back at the house ...," "...I have some, but I don't know where they are." Wow!!! These kind of answers are probably an indicator of how well/not well the person runs their business. And, it is probably an indicator that their business will fail. The issue is not the card itself, but rather the mentality of selling yourself and your services.

9. BCFLawnLandscape

BCFLawnLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

If you did hire a sales person, what would be your reasoning in doing so? I've pondered this idea a few times as well. After I sat down to think about it I decided against it. I'd rather hire someone at 8 bucks an hr. to go out and do some grunt work than to put my company image in that person's hands. Plus, your going to save $ in the long run by not having to pay commissions to the guy bringing you in sales, and..... your not worried about your sales guy bidding stuff WAYYY low just to get the sale, when in turn your not going to make any money on it after paying their commission and then your expenses to get that job done! Hope this helps you sort things out!

10. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats a good point. I have never really thought about it that way.