1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

has anyone ever made a chain drive deck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tb8100, Mar 11, 2008.

1. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

just curious if anyone's ever tried this. It would be cool to have a transmission right off the crank that would put off multiple blade tip speeds and drive the chain driven deck with a shaft. For a failsafe, throw a shear pin in a convenient location. How's that for the ultimate transfer of power to the deck??
  2. farmboy1285

farmboy1285 LawnSite Senior Member

I like the idea of having a transmission to change tip speeds but couldn't you just do that with a belt? I think it would be harder to design with a chain because a chain is always engaged but with a belt you can engage and disengage it, also it would probably be harder on the engine and blade transmission to use a chain because as a belt starts up it slips a little reducing the strain on the engine with a chain you lose that slipping. Just my .02
  3. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

just remember to not hit anything or you will be sorry. You need a belt to give or slip if you hit something
  4. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

Not worth it. Chains need lubrication, don't slip when needed, and the extra mass would probably cause excessive wear on the clutch when you engage it.
  5. tb8100

from TX

I think you misunderstood my post. There would be a multi-speed PTO transmission like a tractor, but with a neutral pos. as well. It would basically be the same concept as a tractor. They do fine. :usflag:
  6. tb8100

from TX

That's what the shear pin is for. Works great on tractors, so long as it's convenient to access.
  7. tb8100

from TX

Chains need lube, right. Works great on dirtbikes though! Why not in this industry?
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Why not?

The length of the chain, it's rotational speed, what it would be exposed to, the lubrication needs and the wear on the chain and sprockets....

And I bet you never even considered the noise production...
  9. tb8100

from TX

I imagine it would be a bit noisy. Think about the power transfer with no more belts!!!

I'm no engineer, nor am I a mower manufacturer. I'm just thinking outside the box. Chain is exposed to much more crap on dirtbikes than it would be on a mower deck (dirt, sand, mud, etc....). It's also used on some crotch rockets, is it not? I know it's used on dirtbikes both in conventional usage and racing, and has for over 50 years. There's got to be something to that. :drinkup:
  10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

You would need the transmission or engine to move with the deck height. The gears or cogs need to be in relative close alignment or chain jumping will occur or excessive wear. Drive shaft powered decks are a better choice than chain for direct power without slipping. Which is one reason manufacturers use them.