Has anyone ever tried compacting grass clippings?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Az Gardener, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I was thinking about getting a used trash compactor and giving it a try. I would think it would reduce the space by at least 40% and if it was tight enough might be able to get some bricks out of it. They might also spontaneously combust too. Just a thought its been a long week. Seriously, I'm interested in any helpful or very funny feedback.

2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Not sure by you but the town will pick up the grass clippings and they use garbage trucks and when they compact it all the grass juice leaks out . The smell from it gags you and you can smell it for a week where it stained the ground.

3. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Well.. with leaves.. i fill up the back of my pick up.. water them down.. and put a flat pallet on top and jump on it.. it reduces it to 1/2 the size.. the same works with grass, but most of the time i just leave the truck un tarped in the rain and it does the same job.. but yea.. it smells alot after a while..

4. Az Gardener

What is this thing you call rain?

If you could collect that grass juice I'll bet it would be full of enzymes and nitrogen, good for fertilizing if you had an economical way to apply it.

Our grass here is not so juicy so I'm not so concerned with the juice. The small homeowner compactor would not be practical but if it worked on a small scale why not bigger bales? Then they might be an asset rather than an expense.

My landfill mentioned they may have to turn away green waste from time to time because they can't get rid of it fast enough ;) I'm just trying to be proactive.

5. Az Gardener

Just giving this a bump to see if anyone else had tried this.

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I would think a cardboard box bailer would be better..those are way expensive though.I think a homeowner trash compactor would be way too small and not practical at all.They only have a small area for putting stuff in.Have you got a place you could make a large compost bin?Or you could buy one of those huge barrel composters that Mantis company sells and make compost out of your clippings.

7. That's how they bale marajuana to smuggle it across the border. I wouldn't want to be riding around Phoenix with bales of "grass" in the back of a pickup!

Dave

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have thought about this but never tried it. The cool season grass here is very wet in the spring (KY Blue, rye , fescue) and I know it would hold together even after being smashed. I am trying to think of a market for the blocks of grass and wonder if an analysis of the juice would show any potentially hazardous levels of chemicals or sky high levels of NPK? Would it be miracle grow liquid? I think you are on to something. Now I am going to E-bay to find a cheap trash compactor.:)

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I stopped bagging sometime in my first years and today finally (it took years) I have NO BAG ACCOUNTS.

It is amazing how much smaller my pile of clippings has gotten.

10. Az Gardener

In the summer its to hot here to mulch, the bacteria tha breaks down the turf cant survive, and you can't mulch with a reel unless you are cutting daily.