Has anyone ever tried lawn care without a truck and trailor?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by All Pro Lawn Care, Apr 6, 2008.

1. All Pro Lawn Care

All Pro Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from Houston

I sold my company last year and now and moving to a street where I had 3 yards. The new owner does not mow these yards any more. I have been putting some thought into getting a 32 wright stander and trying to pick up 10 or so yards on the street. With that mower I sould be able to do full service on all the yards (about 4000 to 5000 sqft mowing) in about 4 to 5 hours a week. I still have the commerical blower and weedeater. What are you thoughts on this because my prices would be lower bc I do not have the cost of a truck, trailor ect. I just have to get ins. and a mower. Time to break even would be about 3 to 8 months depending on if I could find that mower used and get 10 customers..

Thoughts

APLC

2. lsu03

lsu03 LawnSite Senior Member

this should be interesting...

3. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

i ride my mower around my neighborhood all the time. it works real well. i can't drive yet, but thats what i do. just lay your weed eater across the caster wheel forks. and hold your blower or lay it on top of the deck, depending on what mower you have. just my 2 cents.

4. J.A.G LAWNCARE

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

I DONT see why not i did it that way when i was 12......................part time make some easy beer money

5. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I do lawn care for my own rental properties. I don't have a truck. My trunk is big enough to put my mower, blower, hedge trimmer. I have to put the trimmer in the passanger compartment, It work. Just what ever it takes to get the job done.

6. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

lot's of guys do lawn care out of the back of a truck. they now have an expandable ramp that replaces your tailgate that would let you drive the mower right up into the back. I ran a 21" push mower, 48" walk behind, blower, weedeater, 2 gas cans and curvy ramps in the back of my long bed 93gmc pickup for years. used the curvy ramps and it was fine.

I remember a guy that had an old diesel toyota pickup and welded on an extended bed frame and added a drag axle for a tandem axle setup. he built a wide wood flatbed deck with a dovetail/ramp over a steel angle iron frame he welded. the bed was 8 foot wide and about 12 foot long or so. he ran that rig for 10 plus years and got great gas mileage. he could put a ton of stuff on that thing and could park anywhere.

7. farmboy1285

farmboy1285 LawnSite Senior Member

I used to have a lawn tractor (without a deck) and a trailer that I would have my snapper, trimmer and blower in and I would drive all over my neighborhood, I even had my phone number on the side of the trailer. I had some lawns that took me longer to get than to actually mow it. I remember I had this one lawn on the top of a hill and when I got done Instead of driving down the hill I put the tractor in neutral and I bet I hit aleast 35 going down that thing.:cool2:

8. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

9. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

How far do you travel to do business!!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing:

How fast this guy can go!!!! I like you ride, just not driving to the job!!! Hey, you don't have a safety belt, you might get a ticket!!!!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing:

10. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

If I am not mistaken the largest lawn care operation on the planet was started that way. If you want it to work it will, you will get out what you put in